Spatchcock Turkey and Gravy

Started by ChileRelleno, December 24, 2015, 08:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

Doing my part for Christmas dinner tonight.

I'm prepping a spatchcock turkey on a bed of aromatic vegetables & herbs, with a awesome gravy.
Spatchcock is cutting the backbone out and flattening the bird for quicker and more even cooking.
Bird is prepped, pics to come before it goes in the oven.

Bed is made for the bird.
Fresh thyme, Fresh rosemary, bay leaves, onion, carrots, celery and olive oil.
Cook at 375-450', the more heat the faster it cooks and it'll still cook evenly.
Cooking time is 1.5-2hrs.

Gravy
Back, neck and gizzard chopped and browned with thyme/rosemary
Add onion, carrot, celery & garlic and saute with meat
Add chicken stock, Soy sauce, Worchestire sauce and Fish sauce, salt & pepper
Simmer for about 45min
Make a roux
Strain stock, add roux and cook to desired thickness.

One of the great things about making gravy this way is getting to eat all the meat off the back &neck after straining the broth off.
Delicious!

Pics of bird before going in the oven and money shots will come later.

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

swill88

That is a GREAT tutorial... Thanks!

I cut the back out of whole chickens for the BBQ but didn't know the word Spatchcock.

ChileRelleno

Liberally dusted with Sea Salt, Garlic Herb Mix and Sage and into a 375' oven for two hours.

Resting

Ready to carve

Money Shot

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Dominick

Chile that is the way to go on the gravy.  A lot of people screw up making gravy and there is nothing to it.  Nice job.  I learned a new word today thanks for that also.  Your posts always cheer me up.  You must be a fine guy.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Reel 224

I basically do the same thing with my whole Chicken, but I hadn't thought about splinting a whole Turkey. That is a good idea and I am going to do that on the Turkey I am cooking tomorrow. Great idea!!

Joe     
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."