LOST GIANT SQUID

Started by Tightlines667, December 28, 2015, 01:09:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

On December 24th rare underwater footage was captured of a stray giant squid who was swimming near boat moorings in the shallow waters of Toyama Bay in Honshu, Japan. The elusive cephalopod has been incredibly difficult to capture on film due to its deep sea habitat and highly reclusive nature. It is thought, however that this squid somehow lost its way. Length of the giant squid was about 4 m, girth about 1m.

According to the Giant Squid expert.. Dr. Richard Elis.. this is impossible since the oxygen carrying capacity of this animal's blood prevents it from visiting shallow or surface waters.  

I still don't think anyone will believe my story when me, my dad, and his brother sighted one, about this size, in the surface waters of the GOM about 18 nm S of Port Eads, LA back in the early 90s.  Oh well, it was a spectacular sighting and it will live on in my memory anyways.

I don't think these guys are quite as rare as previously thought.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

swill88

Thanks for that video.

Wouldn't a giant squid this size pose a danger to the divers?

Lunker Larry

Quote from: swill88 on December 28, 2015, 01:21:30 AM
Thanks for that video.

One would think so. I've seen video where the Humbolt Squid off the west coast of Canada/US have attacked divers and they weren't near that size. They were able to drag divers down and they're bite with that beak can rip you apart.
This one was pretty docile making me think something was wrong with it.

Cool video.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

sdlehr

Quote from: Lunker Larry on December 28, 2015, 03:00:59 PM
Quote from: swill88 on December 28, 2015, 01:21:30 AM
Thanks for that video.

One would think so. I've seen video where the Humbolt Squid off the west coast of Canada/US have attacked divers and they weren't near that size. They were able to drag divers down and they're bite with that beak can rip you apart.
This one was pretty docile making me think something was wrong with it.

Cool video.
I think that diver needed to have his head examined, but I do think the white mottling on the red squid is a sign of disease; perhaps a secondary fungal infection, secondary to something more serious - I think the docile behavior and shallow water position indicate that also. I'm no squid expert by any means, but I am a veterinarian.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

foakes

When determining one's position in the Oceanic Food Chain -- doing it while one's feet is dry -- is recommended.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

sdlehr

I've also seen those films of the Humboldt Squid; I would fear one of them more than any shark I might be in the water with. I've been diving with sharks around and remained calm. I would exit the water immediately if a squid that size showed up.... in a panic....
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

foakes

We fish Monterey Bay regularly -- while we have never targeted large squid -- I have a friend who does.

The charter operation targets the edge of Soquel Canyon where it starts to drop off -- and they fish at night.

60 -- 100 pounders are very good eating.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

Oh well! that Dr. Richard Elis does not know squid from Shinola.   ;D  :D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.