Second try might be better

Started by gstours, December 28, 2015, 03:50:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

As advised I decided to try the u-tube approach to video sending to you folks and other friends.   Below is a episode of mine fighting a nice king salmon and this time the ending is good.    please watch,    feedback is good,   I,m learning.

I,m using a go pro you can tell.  this was a head mount,  and very shaky,  but gets a lot of vision.    This needs rethinking too.

Dominick

Gary good job on the video.  Nice Salmon.  Now you have to work on the needle nose pliers/dehooking procedure.   ;D ::) Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

gstours

Thanks Dommie,  the pliers is the easy part.    just edit it out!   Ha Ha.   Sure is fun to relive some of these clips.

wallacewt

hi gary, lovely salmon
why do you use a centre pin reel
you can use whatever reel you like of course
it just looked a bit awkward
cheers

HOLEINTHEWATER

looks like a good time and video.

steelfish

great video.

thats a nice reel, I havent saw it before, what kind of reel is that?

also, which rod were you using? I like it the action of the rod for that big fish
The Baja Guy

Dominick

Quote from: wallacewt on December 28, 2015, 07:07:24 AM
hi gary, lovely salmon
why do you use a centre pin reel
you can use whatever reel you like of course
it just looked a bit awkward
cheers
Gary posted on another thread that he likes using that old reel.  He said it is fun to use.  I can see where it can be.  Did you notice him tightening and loosening the reel as he fought that fish.  He used it like he was very familiar with the reel.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

gstours

Replys,  ya ive tried all kinds a reels but I like the mooching reel the best, this one was aluminum north coast  w. 4.5 inch spool dia and I hot rodded it to a 5.5 inch dia to gain more retrieve speed when the fish turns towards you.. Its direct drive gives you mega power when needed....it has a cork drag, and now is cf about 2 inch dia.  With shimano rubber grips too.   Its quite different from most.   I like it cause I made it what it is, a specialized salmon troll reel.
   The rod is an Okuma 10 1/2 ft salmon rod and is actually a little light for some fish as you need length and power to turn them sometimes as they like to go under the boat or back around the motors.  Then you need to team up and somebody has to stay on the motor controls as this happens fast and you lose some.   Buts thats fishing
   Thanks for watching,  It was fun.

swill88

I want to try a mooching reel.

It's funny.... have been going out for years out the golden gate on salmon mooching drift trips on party boats and have never seen anyone use a mooching reel.

Good for trolling too?

Thanks Gary

gstours

Like I said sometimes its different strokes for the strokers!  I think for my fishing its more fun.   and usually the smaller the reel, the more the fun.   The mooching reel is direct drive, has free spool, drag, clicker, and seems to somehow give you a thrill a geared reel cannot do.
   for about 50$ you can get a graphite one that will last your lifetime.   I prefer the Shimano but my good buddy that catches way more salmon than me prefers the Diawa.   I,m building a new hotrodded one this winter and can show pics of the story how to,  later maybe?

Dominick

Gary never mind "maybe later" I for one would love to see a tutorial on one of those reels.  I bet a bunch of guys and gals would love to see your work.  Dominick

Maxed Out

Pretty cool vid Gary, and I love the huge knucklebuster you customized. Looks like you were fishing in a mill pond, not a ripple.

The part most people don't get to see is how fast those knobs spin when that salmon turns to run. I have been using the shimano and Diawa knucklebusters for almost 30 years exclusively, and I still get chills up and down my spine when a salmon manhandles my gear and shows who is boss, that's when those knobs disappear cause the reel is spinning so fast while the salmon is running for its life. The long limber rod and direct drive lets you feel every little fin flip, nothing else comes close.

I'd say you did a great job on the filming, considering you were fighting the fish with the camera mounted to your head.

Thanks for sharing paradise with us.....and keep the reports coming !!
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

swill88

Quote from: Dominick on December 31, 2015, 07:39:22 PM
Gary never mind "maybe later" I for one would love to see a tutorial on one of those reels.  I bet a bunch of guys and gals would love to see your work.  Dominick

X2 Gary!  Let's see the mods and let's see how it's used. (please)

Steve

wallacewt

im guessing when you tighten the drag
its harder to wind the handle
so you have to wait until the salmon  slows down
to wind in, then loosen the drag again,is this correct?
you also palm the spool to add to the drag
parabolic rod is a great asset,bit like fly fishing
you upgraded the reel,like to see that.
cheers,its all good.

gstours

Thanks for the interest in an off tangent part of a simple post for your viewing pleasure....Its all good.  sharing,caring,and happiness. 
   I grew up in washington and oregon, fished some in british columbia and finally moved to alaska. I love salmon period.  Ive even worked at a salmon fish hatchery for 19 years.  Ive walked a thousand miles of bank and shoreline and have enough boats to cover my house if you flipped them up on the house to cover it up.       But im still humble and learning.   From this forum, the fishery, my gear, and the simple ways to cook and present such a great fish, the salmon.    But I Love Kings the Most.
    That said I will present some more on the mooching reel,  as there seems to be a few persons that would be interested in specific questions.  I also would love to hear from any other nucklebuster oddballs out there as well.   

ps. the drag only operates on the line out, through disks conventionally, it has a anti reverse dog, as well.  Some (and my first) reels did not operate that way, and it was more difficult to reel in,  not naming for now.    but the better ones have a conventional free spool, drag, and clicker alarm.   more on this later.      thanks.