Tiagra A versus older Tiagra

Started by mitchman, December 28, 2015, 05:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mitchman

What are the differences between the older Tiagra and the newer Tiagra A series? Also, how do you tell if its a newer or older version? I'm trying to figure out if its worth getting an older Tiagra 50 for a decent price or not. Thanks!

Tightlines667

The older, first gen. Tiagras have a slightly lower gear ratio (both speeds) with larger teeth on the gears, they use a slightly softer drag material (seems to wear a bit more quickly), SS shielded abec 5 bearings (slightly rougher, but last longer when worn), instead of the arbor ceramic hybrid open bearings, the drag cooling shields are threaded on (instead of being fastened with individual screws), the clicker pawl retainers on some older Tiagras are cast bronze (which have been known to fail) verses the newer SS retainers.  Also I think I have noted minor differences in the washer shape that covers the outter drive shaft bearing (newer model is SS and fully covers the bearing (maybe a not more waterproof), and the pins on the cam follower may have had squared off ends (verses those with a nipple on the newer models).  Not sure if the cams are slightly different as well?  Not sure if the anodizing may be slightly better on the newer ones as well?

I am just going from the top of my head here.  In some ways the older were a bit more robust (especially bearing and gear wear), but in some ways they wern't (drag material, click pawl retainer). 

I certainly wouldn't be afraid to buy an older, first gen. Tiagra.  There are many around that are near or over 10 years old that are still 'getting it done'.  Whatever you get, I would make sure to do a full service on the reel before fishing it.  A few things to pay attention to are:

-I have seen close to 50% failure rate on older clicker springs, may want to replace it, or at least buy a spare
-Gear wear can be greater then on the Penns, if the gears are rough and have very sharp teeth you may want to consider replacing them (on older models all 4 need replacing, on newer ones usually only the high speed set needs it)
-Assume the reel will need a new pinion bearing (this is typically the first point of failure)
-I like to upgrade the clicker pawl retainers to SS
-I typically like to replace Belleville washers
-Pack nonspool bearings with grease
-Treat drag with Cal's or Shimano grease
Make sure to remove and grease all of the pins (spool shaft, and clicker pawl) since they can corrode
-Ensure corrosion between drive shaft retainer and right side plate is not excessive, otherwise you need a new right side plate (expensive)

Hope that helps?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

mitchman

Thanks for the thorough explanation Tightlines666! Are there any obvious ways to determine externally whether you're looking at the newer A series or the older model?

Tightlines667

No, nothing immediately comes to mind.  You could pull the handle, and nut and check the outter most drive bearing on larger reels, or just pull the tailplate off and check the cooling shield.  Nothing obvious externally, that comes to mind at least.
Hope springs eternal

shanara

Very easy to tell cosmeticaly, newer A series have power handle first gen have barrel handle. Also newer a series have holes in drag quadrant to give clicking as you engage the lever drag, Anodising may be a little darker alegedly better on A series. The also say the bearings are more corrosion resistant.

Regards

Tightlines667

Quote from: shanara on December 30, 2015, 07:52:12 AM
Very easy to tell cosmeticaly, newer A series have power handle first gen have barrel handle. Also newer a series have holes in drag quadrant to give clicking as you engage the lever drag, Anodising may be a little darker alegedly better on A series. The also say the bearings are more corrosion resistant.

Regards

Duh

The handles and quadrant. 
Hope springs eternal

FatTuna

I have the old gen Tiagras. One difference is the lever does not click..... Definitely a nice feature to have as you can precisely adjust your drag on the fly and not just guess. Makes the lever more secure too in case you bump it in the craziness.

Another difference is the bearings. The old ones, at least the ones I have, have the shielded bearings. As John explained to me in another thread, they don't have removable shields.. I prefer the unshielded bearings in the newer reels just because they are easier to clean.

ohfishalee

How do you verify the age of a  Tiagra (is it like the Penn s/n?)