Buenos Dias!

Started by BD, December 29, 2015, 04:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BD

Hi guys, been quite a while since I posted on a fishing board. Last board I used was Allcoast using the same handle (BD) maybe 10 or more years ago. Had a lot of fun with the imaginary Furball's Tackle Company, well known for items such as the Pinhead JATO Launcher(C) (Pat Pend.) at $9.99 per dozen and $250 USPS bulk shipping.

Fishybuzz, whom I believe resides here on occasion was and remains a close friend. Although we haven't fished the East Cape or Long Range Fleet together in years I still count him as one of my closest friends period. Honest and a "standup" guy (pun not intended but applicable none the less).  As twins it's still a puzzlement of no small wonder that he's Asian and I'm Roundeye. Mom always did like him best as well.

I've been fishing less on the West Coast and more in warmer waters of Eastern Central America. Part of the shift to fishing less long range is a lifelong aspiration to get my own boat and captains license (required where I'd use the boat). But while learning the local waters I've begun to meet many more guides and fishermen who struggle to keep their gear repaired and operating.

Duties on parts imported to Belize run about a minimum of 35% and is applied not only to the invoiced price of the item but the shipping of the item(s) as well. Because mail security is dicey at best you pretty much have to use a stateside shipper and a local broker to get an order of parts into the country. Naturally the shippers and brokers have a minimum fee so that $24USD Calcutta handle, for instance would probably run close to $75USD by the time all is said and done (no thats not a typo). As a result I get a lot of requests to bring down parts, I either declare them for the 35% or just flat out say they're for my personal use. The latter approach works just fine as long as I'm carrying a rod as part of my luggage. If I'm not, the Customs Agent's questions get a bit quirkier and a lot more pointed. So far my nose is clean and I have some good guide friends (which has its definite advantages!)

So Mahalo, Gracias and Merci, here's to another long run of posts.

George

MarkT

Welcome George.  I'm an ex-Allcoaster too.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

BD

Really?

Lol, Hey Mark! of course I remember you. Tried to pull up my old AC account over there and apparently it's way newer than I thought. Guess they purged most of the old timers at some point. Of course I was crushed I never got a personal call from them!

alantani

welcome!  i would still drop into allcoast every once in a while, but the place is now as dead as a graveyard, so i stopped,. 

i actually just logged into allcoast.  looks like mark mayo still posts. mark, you made a post a while back.  hey, i even saw wils is on line right now. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

MarkT

What little activity remains on Allcoast is mostly on the political board.  One of the few fishing boards that allows politics.  I saw my last post on Allcoast was in '14.  I joined in '89 and was active there for almost 25 years.  I was the tackle moderator for the last few years after Hawk stepped down.  The new owners never contacted anyone.  I heard from Wahoodad that there were issues with the new owners treating moderators poorly and that he was bailing and that I should too... so I did!  No one asked where I went, I think they figured it out.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

BD

Thanks Alan, Mark et al. 'Preciate the warm welcome.

I wondered about its (Allcoast's) viability when it appeared no one I recognized was up on the tackle board. Nice job moderating the Tackle Board there Mark, Hawk left some very large shoes to be filled.  

Alan If you have a sec in the next week or so could you take a gander at my post in Trouble Shoot/General Questions Board RE: Sticky rough Calcutta 700B drag/cutch lever. I'd definitely appreciate that (as would about 10 guides I know in Belize!). If that post is best suited to a specific board please feel free to move it, I'm still getting my feet wet around here.

I'll copy same and send to you via email as well since you seem to indicate that as a preference for direct contact. No "reel" hurry...I know, "huge groans and banned on the first day" on shear principle...

BD ~ George

alantani

ah, that one i know very well.  there is a kick lever that get's banged up and has to be replaced.  it's spring loaded and a real pain to get to.  it's part # 1758.  that's always been the big downfall of that reel.

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/albums/shimano/Shimano_CT700.pdf

BD

I knew I liked this place...real (cough) comfy. Thanks Alan!

Looking at the diagram I have for the 700B from the Shimano site, part #1758 is missing on the list and in the diagram. Could the last two digits in the number you gave me be inverted i.e. #1785?, or perhaps maybe the diagram I'm looking at is out of date, but it does seem to matchup with the one you put up through Mike's.

http://fish.shimano.com/media/fishing/SAC/techdocs/en/Round_Baitcasting/05CT700B_v1_m56577569830570315.pdf

BD

alantani

ah, for this reel, things are likely just gummed up.  you have a lever, the older reels did not. 

twotone

Welcome BD. I'm glad you're here. Happy to see someone has fished Belize. I need some advice on guides in Belize, as I'm stopping there on my way further south. Starting 31 Jan 2016. I know what you mean about customs in CentroAm. I get really nervous about taking gear to a guide I know. Could you PM me. Gracias!   
twotone

BD

Whoa! Geez TT you have a few rods to tote around there! Customs will give you no hassles for the tube, but man you are going to pay extra baggage cost through the nose to haul that momma!

To be honest with you, I fish three rigs total inside the reef, outside the reef and moderate drop (<300'). 12#, 20#, and 30-40# all mono as you simply don't need substantial amounts of braided backing even for the black fin and wahoo that are offshore at times. Not to mention the guides hate the #### if a charter doesn't watch his line drift and it gets sucked into the prop.  It would appear you speak or know some Spanish from your pix and that will go a long way as far as a day on the water goes. Most of these guys are trilingual, Kriol, Spanish and English, and the odd smattering of Mayan to boot. Not to many Maya guides though until you get way south.

Happy to get you in touch with my favorite guy, you should know he's in demand from some of the larger resorts and I usually just ask when he's got open dates when I'm down there. You're also going at peak season so open dates can be scarce. I'm sure he can make a few recommendations if he's busy. Also happy to start a PM exchange with you. Maybe send me your gear list and itinerary (including ultimate destination south).

BD

twotone

That's last years haul. I paid 2nd checked bag price on American (under length) and no problems with customs. I have been burned by customs before though. Thank you and I'll PM you later today.
twotone