Main Menu

Turkey Soup

Started by Reel 224, December 29, 2015, 09:56:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

Ruth and I are making Turkey soup today with the carcass and basically we cooked onions,carrots,parsnips and added parsley,dill,bay leaf, pepper and thyme in chicken broth. I added white wine and reduced it,and added some rue to thicken the broth and brought it to a boil and it's simmering right now.  

Does anyone have a favorite recipe for Turkey Soup?

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Bill B

Mine is similar, but I just throw whatever is in the frig drawers....I guess more of a Kitchen Sink Turkey Carcass recipe....I like the white wine and rue  addition...will have to tr\y that soon....thanks brother.
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

thorhammer

Yes..... Yours. Lol.  I took a turkey to the outlaws and brought back the boneses for TNS.  No kidding I like sandwiches the day after and soup better than the whole turkey / dressing deal. 

melkapule

Search for a pa-ke recipe for turkey jook.
Pake is chinese in Hawaii. Jook is a rice soup using different types of poultry or using beef. Top with green onions.
Lots of family recipes for this.

I had a large saimin bowl of chicken jook just last week at Duk Kee restaurant on 12th Ave in Kaimuki.  My grandson had a small saimin and we shared a plate of Lup Cheong Chicken with vegetables.

Making myself hungry.

Reel 224

Quote from: melkapule on December 30, 2015, 05:01:00 PM
Search for a pa-ke recipe for turkey jook.
Pake is chinese in Hawaii. Jook is a rice soup using different types of poultry or using beef. Top with green onions.
Lots of family recipes for this.

I had a large saimin bowl of chicken jook just last week at Duk Kee restaurant on 12th Ave in Kaimuki.  My grandson had a small saimin and we shared a plate of Lup Cheong Chicken with vegetables.

Making myself hungry.

Well......give us some recipes, I hungry too ;) ;D

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

rjones

I have ussed Emerils Turkey Bone Gumbo several times.  Basicly you boil the carcass with some veggies, remove the meat from the bones stir in a rue to thicken and serve over rice and top with some file powder.  I look forward to it throuhout the year.
Rob

Reel 224

I added a little bit to the Turkey Soup this afternoon. Peas,Corn and Egg Noodles....Tomorrow Ruth is going to make Corn Bread W/Jalapeno Pepper. ;)

Joe  

ChileRelleno

Mine is about the same.

Simmer carcass for several hours, shred meat, discard bones.
Add veggies and what ever else floats your boat.
Spice to your liking and chow down.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Reel 224

Can I interest anybody in some Turkey Soup!! ;D ;D

Joe

Dominick

The next time you all make turkey soup put the carcass and all the leg bones along with a carrot, onion and celery in a roasting pan toss with olive oil, salt pepper and place in the oven at 425 degrees.  Keep a close watch on everything so it does not burn.  When it all gets nice and brown use it as you otherwise would.  It makes a richer soup.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Reel 224

Quote from: Dominick on December 31, 2015, 03:33:14 AM
The next time you all make turkey soup put the carcass and all the leg bones along with a carrot, onion and celery in a roasting pan toss with olive oil, salt pepper and place in the oven at 425 degrees.  Keep a close watch on everything so it does not burn.  When it all gets nice and brown use it as you otherwise would.  It makes a richer soup.  Dominick

Now that's I good idea!! ;) :)

Joe

Long Enuff

My lemon chicken soup recipe.  Works great for colds and you could substitute turkey for the chicken:

Ingredients:  1 cooked, skinned and deboned chicken
         4 fresh lemons
         Lemon pepper - to taste
         Cumin to taste  - (dash)
         1 large chopped onion
         3 sliced carrots
         3 stalks of celery chopped
         1 cup of rough chopped mushrooms   
         2 tablespoons olive oil
         2 - forty nine oz. cans of chicken stock
         1/2 cup uncooked rice

Sauté vegetables in olive oil until tender.  Add chicken stock, juice and zest of 4 lemons, rough chopped chicken and seasonings.  Cook covered for 20 minutes.  Add rice and cook covered for another 20 minutes.  Red pepper flakes may be added for an extra kick.   Serve with crusty bread or hard rolls.

melkapule

Here is one jook recipe. No need too many ingredients. Last time, other than rice, water, rock salt, ginger, and turkey bones, I used raw peanuts, green onions, and shoyu.
http://tastyislandhawaii.com/2006/11/29/theres-turkey-then-theres-jook/

jigmaster501

With all of these great recipes here, please do one thing

Rapidly cool all soups in a metal lasagna pan from 135F to 70F in 2 hours or less and from 70F to 41F in another 4 hours or less. This prevents Clostridium perfringens toxin formation as well salmonella and other pathogens.

I second the roasting the bones and the veggies. Another thing is to brown the turkey fat in the bottom of the pot and then add the bones, veggies and water.

When you are done with the stock skim the fat and save it,then toss the bones, etc.

The fat is good to roast potatoes and sauté veggies.

Take the stock, add the veggies that you want in the soup and then add chucks of raw turkey breast once the veggies are soft and fully cook the turkey breast to a minimum internal temperature of 165F or higher. Serve over spaghetti squash and put a tablespoon of course ground mustard in each bowl for a kick.

Reel 224

We are canning the Turkey Soup today; With the pressure caner.

Joe