Penn Senator 9/0

Started by FirePro911, December 30, 2015, 12:20:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FirePro911

Soon to be a tank, starting to try and round up parts. I'll use this reel during Tackle Time 2016 in the Off-Shore Division in hopes of landing a big enough shark get on the board.

Been doing about 3 to 4 days of reading on here about it. Started to get confused, so I'll post up what I think will be the parts list. First though, I see a lot of references with parts to 115L as opposed to 115. Pretty sure I saw where the L stood for lightweight and not long. Am I right? The foot is stamped 30-115.

This one has a steel spool, but I found an aluminum one for $59.95. I've PM'd Lee for two SS dogs to double dog it. I've also PM'd Bryan for a SS sleeve. I'll PM Dawn to see if she has the SS yoke.

I'll buy the Black Pearl gears this week from Alan. I'll also buy a half frame from Tom at Cortez Conversions.

Then the last custom item is the insert kit from Adam, though his site doesn't show them in stock,

I do have the reel broken down. I need to clean every part and polish the parts I'm not replacing.

RowdyW

By the looks of the right bearing I think you have the earlier version of the 115.  The 115L aluminum spool will not fit your reel. You need the plates that take the ball bearings not the bushings. The screw pattern is slightly different on those earlier 115 reels so you will not be able to use all the screw holes in the Cortez half frames. It might be better (& cheaper) to start with a 115L reel. Look for one with ball bearings on the ends of the spool. You will find 115L reels with aluminum & chrome/bronze spools.    Rudy

FirePro911

Just my luck! lol!

A friend gave this to me. So I was going to get it ready for that tourney. So other than the aluminum spool and Cortex frame, can everything else be done to it?

RowdyW

All the other upgrades should fit O K.

Shark Hunter

Firepro,
Aren't you from Sharks on the Sand?
That reel will work with Tom's frame with a little Modification.
However, like Rudy said, I don't think the Aluminum spool will work.
Looks like a three piece Chromed Brass you have there and that is no good for Sharkin'.
I have at least a dozen of these builds under my belt with Tom's Frames and stainless guts.
You need anything, just drop me a PM.
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

That sure looks to be an older nonnumbered reel with the first gen gear config., and 3-piece spool to me.  I noticed the broken leather washer under the gear sleeve which is stepped slightly diffrrently as well.  I believe those are the good, strong, deep steel gears in that reel as well (though I don't the think the notches go all the way to the bottom of the gear though.  The reel likely has thicker bronze metal, and leather drag washers as well?  The first gen 9/0's were produced in relatively large numbers over a relatively long production run, so they are not considered particuarily scarce, but...

If it is a first gen. with external drags that would be notable, and interesting to a collector.

Regardless if it is first gen, numbered/nonnumbered, etc.. for what you have in mind.. you would be better off cleaning it up, reassembling with stock, selling it, and buying a newer, but not too new ;) reel to upgrade IMHO.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

FirePro911

Shark Hunter, I'm not on that site. All my sharks are caught from my boat. Haven't tried them from land yet. I'll keep you in mine on setting one up right. Thanks

Tightlines666, Thanks for the info also. I took some pics tonight showing numbers and such. It might help ID the reel better. I'll go ahead and rebuild it to stock and keep it for display. The buddy I fish with that gave it to me has caught some big sharks on it and the others he has. It's been years though since he used them.

I'll start looking for another one. I have till the week of July 4th to get one ready.

Some parts show 114 and some 115. They are all factory stock, I know he has not changed any parts on them.

Spool shows 115

Gears are steel, and the notches do not go all the way down.

Other parts that show 115

All these parts show 114

This part shows 23-60

The washers are thick and hard, with the busted leather washer.

This washer has some type of washer on it.

The end caps

Lowprofile

Quote from: Shark Hunter on December 30, 2015, 02:30:04 AM
Firepro,
Aren't you from Sharks on the Sand?
That reel will work with Tom's frame with a little Modification.
However, like Rudy said, I don't think the Aluminum spool will work.
Looks like a three piece Chromed Brass you have there and that is no good for Sharkin'.
I have at least a dozen of these builds under my belt with Tom's Frames and stainless guts.
You need anything, just drop me a PM.

You're thinking of Firedog (Bill). He fishes with Troy and the Polks sometimes.

As for the spool, you can fill a 3 piece with braid and run a short 100-200yrd top shot of mono just fine. It's when you fill the whole thing up and the mono recovers and swells it will pop the seems.

Better off with an aluminum spool anyhow. Throw all the mods you can on it and make sure you use the front brace. It'll save your foot and posts when you apply heavy drag. Especially if you use a harness.

Tightlines667

Guess it was just the first photos that threw me a bit.  That is an early reel but it is no earlier then 1950 since it does have numbered parts.  The spool is pre ca. 1955  so it is likely 1950-55ish prodiction era.  It is not particularly collectable (but certainly would be if it was in mint condition with the box, catalog, etc...), though it is old.  You can clean it up, maybe upgrade the drag, and spool with dacron backing with a mono topshot if you want to continue fishing it.  If you do upgrade the drag, I suggest:
1)Ensure the sleeve is not rounded off and fits tightly to the handle
2)Use a thin SS or Aluminum shim under the gear sleeve (if desired) to reduce any excessive up/down gear sleeve  play on the shaft
3)You can replace all existing drag washers with Carbon Fiber
4)With this main gear, you may need to use a stock bronze metal fitted washer just above the first CF washer, then you can use new stock SS metal washers.  If the stack height is still a little short, use another fitted bronze washer on the top of the stack. A Delron on top of the stack will also help to smooth out the drag
5)Replace the fiber undergear washer with a Delron
6)Replace the two upper spring washers

So it would be something like...
0.3mm Shim washer-Gear sleeve-Delron-Main Gear-New CF(greased with Cal's)-Older Bronze Fitted-CF-SS Eared-CF-SS Fitted-CF-SS Eared-CF-SS Fitted-Bronze Fitted- New Felt Washer (oiled)-Top Washer-Spacing Sleeve-Heavy wavy spring-Light Wavy Spring)-Star-Handle

The upper portion of tye drag stsck can be modifued depending on the desired spacing and drag ramp up.  A Delron could be used, on  top of the last SS fitted followed by a top hat washer then the spacer and spring washers, or a Delron then SS then heavy cupped spring washer then spacer (may need to be ground down) then a light spring and the star (less waterproof, but more agressive drag ramp up).  Or you could use SS fitted-Delron-SS fitted-felt-capped-spacer (shortened)-spring-star.

There are lots of options here, but you want the spacing to be such that the sideplate opening is covered throughout the drag range, and the star just starts exerting pressure as it is turned in from the handle.  Getting Delron washers above and below the drag/main gear assembly, and greasing all CF washers with Cal's will smooth out the drag.  Using heavier spring washers will give you a stronger drag curve in the upper range, using lighter ones gives you ore adjustment low, but causes you to loose range on the top end.

You just kinda have to play with it a bit.

Daron's origional suggestion of trying to find a newer reel with a 1-piece spool may be a better starting platform though.

Hope I didn'T confuse things?

Hope springs eternal

FirePro911

You didn't confuse me......oh wait, yes you did. lol!

I'll most likely just put it back together with new stocks parts. I've already got my eye on a few 115's with bearings. So what would be a good price range that I should pay on one in good shape?

I'm going to also hit up the pawn shops around town to see if they have any. In the meantime, I'll start ordering everything I listed in my first post to be ready.

Tightlines667

$90-$125ish range.

Those deep steel gears are desirable because they are strong, but they can corroded if not regularly lubed.  Also the shallower slots require the use of a thick bottom washer when upgrading to CF, but you may want to consider keeping these in your new reel instead of buying the newer SS.  Also, for yoyr info, SS gears and many of these parts are available at Scott's Bait and Tackle.

So, I recommend starting with a newer reel with 1-piece spool, and bearings, buy the half frame,  ProChallenger Gear set, SS gear sleeve, dog, yoke, insert kit (with 2 delron washers), and new thin and thick or thick and cupped spring washers.  You may also want to consider a handle upgrade.  The Penn Rubberized nonoffset, or Alan's arm and offset handle are good options.   

Good luck, and have remember to have fun!
Hope springs eternal

FirePro911

Thanks so much! I'll start ordering the list of things I need for the next reel.

I also have a very nice 12/0 in great condition on a pole and ready to fish. I haven't used it yet and will open it up as soon as I get this 9/0 cleaned, polished, new drags and put back together.

Shark Hunter

$500 later, it will look like this. ;)
Life is Good!

handi2

The last few 9/0's I sold that were upgraded I used the stock steel gear to keep cost down for the buyer. I used the drag insert which is the only way to go.

I used the double SS dogs and SS gear sleeve and the insert and no other costly parts. It really helps some of the guy's around here that want to start shark fishing.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Shark Hunter

That sounds like a great idea Keith, but without the Tom frame, I would be afraid it would twist.
I know what the inserts are capable of. The 9/0 is really at the Bottom I use for sharking, but the most expensive to Hot Rod.
If that frame twists under load, it will Hand Grenade if the line doesn't pop. JMO
Life is Good!