Help me I.D. this reel

Started by TEAMFISH, December 30, 2015, 05:32:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TEAMFISH

Having trouble putting a maker to this old knuckle buster

Superhook

Can't say for sure . Sandwiched side plates date late 1900's to early 1910's  . Possibly Pflueger or Montague.

mizmo67

Hard one...

All I can recommend is taking manufacturer names and searching them in Google images
"antique bakelite reel _____" insert name

List of names:
http://www.antiquefishingreels.com/i_mfgLargeReels.html
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

sdlehr

What's the left side plate look like?
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

TEAMFISH

Best Pic I have

TEAMFISH

I appreciate all that have helped so far, I have tried all to get some thought of I.D. Nothing yet.
On another note, should I keep this antique "as-is" or give the old girl a spa day and make her shine? I'm thinking "don't touch" but my O.C.D reel obsession say's make her shine. I.D.K.

Alto Mare

Not 100% sure, I can't really tell from my reference book, but it appears to be a Pflueger Golden West.
Manufactured in OH around 1923.
The reel is definitely a Pflueger, I'm just not sure if it is a Golden West series.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

TEAMFISH

I thought Pflueger too. Problem is that none of the Pflueger's I've seen have a "gear in gauge" lever and the 'thumb drag' on mine is straight across as far as the metal pivot, the Pflueger's have a convex cut in them.

foakes

Fairly sure it is an early Pfueger Avalon.

Do not think the Golden West series were that large.

Could be wrong.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

TEAMFISH

That sure looks like it. I'm missing the handle nut, looks like a special one. The search continues

foakes

Many of the early Pfluegers used for the salt -- were like yours.

In subsequent years, Pflueger teamed up with an independent company that had a better drag mousetrap -- by the name of Williams.

This Williams drag was far better than anything else of the day -- actually a little similar to some of the things we are doing today.

And it was a bolt on affair that would fit most any reel around the size of a 4/0.

I have this old Oceanic (Pflueger) with a Williams drag -- and the operation and machining are unbelievable.

And this on a product approaching 100 years old.

These were also common on Avalons.

Couldn't see your handle nut -- are you missing the nut?

If we could determine which nut is original -- either myself, or someone else may have one for you.

When IDing a reel -- 7 pics are useful -- top, bottom, front, back, right, left, and a spool closeup.

Glad to help, if possible.

Mike, Ray, or Ted may have better information for you.

Nice old reel -- would not be surprised if it was from the teen years.

As to cleaning & restoration -- if you wanted a really super job...Ted, Michael, or Ray have done these -- and you could look up some of their threads on this site -- and attempt yourself -- or maybe have one of these experts do it for you.

Good Luck,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

TEAMFISH

Thanks Fred, I am missing the handle nut but I did find a "350" stamped on the reel foot if that helps

foakes

That is the approximate spool capacity.

Show us the sleeve and middle of the handle, so we may match up a nut.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Penn Chronology

I had to do a bit of research first before I chimed in on this topic. Pflueger is not my strong suit. Anyways, Fred, you are correct, maybe? This is an Avalon, could be.? The Avalon was made in many sizes, from 1916 to 1919. It is a very sought after reel because its manufacture window is small. Here is one fitted with a first generation Williams Drag and aftermarket external anti-reverse gizmo:

There originally was a a ID plate stuck on the head plate in some manner.

The reason that these can be confused with a Golden West is because of the side plate design. The Golden West also has the sandwiched design.

The Avalon model is hard to find. I would not call it rare; but, it is not an easy find. Congrats to the new owner! PM me if you want to part with it..... ;)

I am not 100% yet because of the stand on your reel. The stand looks like a Montague, rather than a Pflueger. So, I must look further before I say 100% it is a Avalon.

Penn Chronology

The build style of this reel goes back aways. This is a 1903 reel that pre-dates the Golden West model and the plate style is obviously similar. The plate material is aluminum, which, in those days, was very high end stuff.