Abu Round Reel building material Record 50 and 6501C3

Started by kbmonster, January 02, 2016, 08:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kbmonster

Hello all, I've been looking for info on the metal used for the side plates, frame and star wheel in the Record 50 and 6501C3. I soaked both reels in water and purple power (PP) to degrease, got side tracked and know i have a brown "fuzz" on 95% of these pieces. Some areas retained the original "shine" so I'm wondering if the PP removed some special coating. The frame of the record is like new and the 6501 has that rough haze on it. I tried to remove it with Bar Keepers Friend and nothing changed, then i polished a side plate with Mother's Mag Polish and got most of the "shine" back, not like before but i can live with it.

Reels
Abu 6501 C3 - 2008
Abu Record 61 HC - 2006

The questions I'm looking for answers to are:
What metal are these components?
Are the side plates and frames the same material?
Is there a coating applied after production?
Can i get that look back?
If not any suggestions after polishing to keep that good look?

Here's a pic of the polished 50 side plate and furry components next to a 2006 R61HC.
I appreciate any help you can provide, links to this info is great for me too. Happy New Year!

sdlehr

I don't know what the metal is, but if it is aluminum I understand you should not use ammonia-containing solutions, but I don't know why - this may be what happens. Also, you won't get a quicker answer by posting the same question in 5 different places. One will usually suffice.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

swill88

He posted it 2X and he's new... he get's a break!

Keep coming back!

handi2

Don't use the purple stuff or anything like it on those parts. I ruined a Calcutta recently.

Mineral spirits, kerosene, and others OK. Simple green won't hurt a thing.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

kbmonster

Thanks, when i hit hit "post" the browser redirected me to the home page so i thought something was wrong.  I then posted in a thread with the similar model number thinking that as the proper location. Not sure how it was posted to 3 other places. I'll get this figured out soon enough.

Quote from: handi2 on January 02, 2016, 11:38:42 PM
Simple green won't hurt a thing.

I ruined the fancy anodized rims on my wife's Blazer using straight Simple Green trying to get the brake dust of them.  I can't imagine it being safe on a reel.

sdlehr

Quote from: swill88 on January 02, 2016, 10:34:02 PM
He posted it 2X and he's new... he get's a break!

Keep coming back!
I'm sorry if my comment was offensive. It was not intended to be. I'm having a difficult day and my patience is not up to its normal standard.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector