TLD 15 Dilemma

Started by SoCalAngler, January 31, 2011, 08:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalAngler

I am looking to do the cone spring (belleville pressure washer) upgrade on my TLD 15. I order the springs from Shimano with the part number from your web site #TT-0040A. The person on the order desk tells me there is a new number for that part BTN1811 and they will send them right out. I get the washers a couple of days later and start the procedure. Well when I open up the reel this is what I find. Can you tell the difference in my pics from your pics in the TLD 15 breakdown?

It seems I have a bearing sleeve not shown in your pictures.

As I do the upgrade all goes well until it is time to replace the cooling shield. When I replace the shield and tighten it down I loose free spool on the shaft. So then I remove the sleeve and the free spool returns to where it was before the change out. The problem is when I reassemble the reel without the sleeve I get the same drag pressure I was getting before the upgrade.

This reel is 10 to 15 years old and I got it used. Maybe someone did an upgrade before I got the reel or maybe they came that way then? Have any of you guys seen this before and is there anything I can do to improve my drag pressure and still keep free spool with the reel configured this way.

alantani

the heavy brass sleeve that you found in your reel is commonly seen in the tld 5's and 10's.  i don't recall seeing one in a tld 15, but they are common enough so it's info that i might have simply filed and forgot.  the amount of drag is more determined by the thickness of the bellevilles.  the freespool is determined by how clean the bearings are and the amount of side load from that return spring that you have shown.  you also have to make sure that it does not drag anywhere. 

with the brass sleeve in place, the pressure plate is probably forced up against the cooling shield.  when you put the reel together, i'll bet that you get your freespool back.  the problem now will be to install a bearing sleeve of the proper length to make sure the spool does not slow down when you dip the reel to the right. 

go ahead and put it all together and let's see how it works.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SoCalAngler

Thanks Alan I did reassembled the reel when I first noticed the loss of free spool. It was not a total loss maybe 1 or 2 rotations with a hard spin of the spool. I did put it back together a couple of times but I always had the same results. I will reassemble it first with the old springs, check it out then start from scratch.

SoCalAngler

You were correct Alan I got the free spool back after putting everything back together, thank you. But I was getting around 7lbs of drag before starting to loose free spool before the upgrade and now I'm getting 81/2 lbs. It is no way near the 15lbs you were getting, whats up with that? The TLD 15 is a very easy reel to work on but I cant seem to get the drag pressure you were getting. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

alantani

shim the pressure plate with masking tape to true it up.  change the bellevilles  from "()" to "((".  no spectra slipping on the spool, right?

SoCalAngler

Will do Alan thanks. I don't fish spectra on this reel just strait 30lb mono. This is more of a backup reel though I still fish it or loan it out and wanted around 10lbs of drag while maintaining freespool. I have other reels that I use spectra on with no slippage but thanks for asking.

With the (( not the () alignment do I need to replace the one thrust washer I took out?

alantani

Quote from: SoCalAngler on February 02, 2011, 08:05:19 AM
With the (( not the () alignment do I need to replace the one thrust washer I took out?

maybe......

federico1967

hello everybody! I made a brief introduction in  section (I am from Italy) and I bought an used TLD 15 from ebay in Calif"ornia. I took the decision that buying an old japanes reel was "likely" better than a brand new made in Malaysia and with import duty and s/h they came to the same price.. It was the first lever drag I had but I realized something was not working well. The first time a fish striked (2 kg likely) the reel accelerated from strike position and caused a big mess on the line so I decided to open it.
Here what I found:

federico1967

so this model appear to be a '92 model since it has a bushing (74) and shaft has the same OD all across.
Some foreword: the reel apparently did not show sign of being open before and inside was some oxide but bearings (shielded) were all looking good. The bushing of main shaft was a bit clogged but what the drag force appeared to be a bit low in strike. What is strange is that the spacer 0058 does not show to be there and the trust washers are two thin copper (72?).
Now the big issue: I asked one of my collegues to open "CAREFULLY" the cooling shield (jammed!) and the two screws (49)  for the click gear with the result he destroyed the shield, damaged the spool and one of the screw lost its head and remain stuck.
I bought a new spool assembled with shaft but after I found it is a late model > 98 so I guess the new spool ####'y will not fit in the main frame with the pinion gear (198 / 0029), with pinion guard (200/183) and obviously main gear (0197 / 008). Tomorrow I should get the new stronger springs (BNT 1811) and the spool assembly and I will have the answer. Is somebody already gone through this mess? (it is really looking at their drawing). Was this change driven by solving a real issue or was more a kind of VAVE (value analysis value engineering = pure cost saving??) Thanks

federico1967

so if possible I will try to save the old '92 components and see if they fit with this later spool ####'y.
The next step will be get a CF clutch disk and cals grease then I will try to see if it works. I have an idea to test the drag action by letting a 10 lbs weight hanging from the reel (no rod, just a stiff bar), open the drag for a few sec and then start to close the drag smoooothly. Has somebody done something like this (I live on the 14th floor, do not let me write I am going to do this !)

I will post next steps, bye!

alantani

are you sure this is not a tld 10?

federico1967

Hi Alan, thanks for your replay. Now I am enjoying a lasagna , in Cina is dinner time. Then i will be back home. Luckily the Japanese were reluctant to changes, it looks I do not which model of TLD 15 I purchased and most of all what P/N to order... :-[

federico1967

so I have disassembled the reel and discovered that the ####'y spool I bought does not fit the pinion and main gear, the splines are different .My TLD 15 is likely a '92 model (hope there are no other release in between!) so in summary:
1) I had to replace a damaged spool and cooling shield of mine and bought a new spool ####'y with shaft. It does not fit
2) I attach the exploded view of the two models.
2) the cooling shields are completely different (the older = the thicker , likely the better).
3)the old damaged spool has line on it.
4) now I have to find an old spool (TLD 70) and a shields that fits (they look different but the 186 code is the same)..
5) alternatively I have to replace the main gear + pinion hoping the bearings 28 and 202 are equivalent.

Has somebody gone through such a mess and can confirm that there are no other surprises?
the "change management" system at Shimano must have been a drama at that time. . look at the note "look at the stamped leeter with dies: I did not fnd either the NG. For tonight big game = big mess...hope someone can help
bye!

federico1967

so by changing main gear and pinion is the 4.2:1 ratio still the same or is going to 4.0:1 ? (Japan vs Malaysia..)
Hi Alan , if this 3d is interesting you may want to move in the section of TLD 15.. bye