Tool for removing/inserting e-clips

Started by Strewth, January 16, 2012, 02:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strewth

Any suggestions for a good tool for the removing/inserting e-clips (such as the ones that are used to hold worm shafts in place). I currently use a small jewellers screwdriver and flat needle nose pliers to remove/insert them, but was wondering if there is a better way.

Has anyone tried the Duratrax tool http://www.duratrax.com/accessories/tools/dtxr1107.html  ?

Paleoreelist

Screwdriver and pliers here too, I'm going to buy me a e-clip tool  ;D
The best day to go fishing is any day that ends in a Y.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

max kravig

I use Brownell's Magna-Tip screwdriver bits. Can get them in many widths and thicknesses. Use a Dremel tool and grind to fit.

coastalobsession

A small flat head screw driver and small pliers
Coastal Obsession Deckhand and reel cleaning

Strewth

Quote from: alantani on January 17, 2012, 07:35:30 AM
most places were out of stock.   :-\

I managed to track one down Alan and tried it. Works very well for cases where the tool can get at the e-clip (such as a bearing on the end of a drive shaft). Can't be used for an e-clip on the end of a worm gear shaft if the access is restricted (i.e. recessed). All in all, a good tool to have for working on reels. A modified version of this tool, where the arm is bent to form a right angle just behind the round head that grabs the clip, would make it even more useful.

HalBrown

I bought a set of Stanley hooks/picks at WalMart for $5.00 and they have full screw driver handles.  I put the reel in a big baggie and use the hook tool to pull off the e clips.  The baggie catches the clip if it decides to go airborne.  A dab of grease on the E clip tames it considerably before extraction.  My hobby bent needle nose pliers pops them back on.

Pro Reel

This hasn't been discussed in awhile. Has anyone here found a good tool for clips? Getting them off with a screwdriver or pick is pretty easy for me, it's putting them back on that gets frustrating. I use a needle nose pliers with a smooth surface and a tight point so I can just grab the edge of the clip, but still have trouble with it slipping off, clips flying away, and or damaging the thin brass spacers that are often under the eclip. I wish I had a machinist mill and knew how to use it. I actually have an idea to take a few pairs of bent nose needle nose pliers and modifying them for clips. I just don't have a way to do it. Here is my idea. I would cut the points of the bent nose tool off flat and then cut a groove in one face so it fits against round things such as worm shafts, and the other face would have a corresponding groove cut all the way up it that would grab the round side of an eclip and hold it just enough to pop it in place. It would probably take a few sets with different sized grooves.

Tiddlerbasher

This is a very good tool for smaller e-clips - pliers work for the bigger ones:

http://www.amazon.com/Duratrax-Ultimate-E-Clip-Tool-1-5mm-5mm/dp/B001TAJP9W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1451477198&sr=8-3&keywords=e+clip+tool

I've had one for a few weeks and it's proved very useful particularly when re-fitting smaller e-clips ;)

garyal

Since I am a serious  OCD when it comes to good tools (and reels) I ordered the one you guys detailed here.

Additionally I found this one as well and ordered it too!

https://www.amazon.com/KD-Tools-KDT3953-Installer-Removal/dp/B002SF2F62/ref=pd_lutyp_cxhsh_2_5?ie=UTF8&dpID=41JI31ommjL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_SL500_SR160%2C160_&refRID=ZWBPEEHZQP51YM096CD1

I will report back in a week or two on which if either, is better.

Tiddlerbasher

I've just purchased another e-clip tool (used off of fleabay)
This one:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/circlip-pliers/0831078/

It is specified to have a range of .5-6mm - I tried it on an 8mm e clip - It worked fine, the clip stayed in the jaws of the tool as I pulled it off:)

Could this be the end of flying e clips  ;D