Repair advice - Shimano Rarenium CI4

Started by brucen, January 04, 2016, 09:14:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brucen

Hi, until recently my Shimano Rarenium has working extremely well, particularly when paired with my K-Labs 24T rod. However, despite what I believed has been a sound cleaning routine, last week I go to use the reel and I find its completely seized (sadly I didn't check this until I was on the water!). I used a bit of force to see if I could clear it (probably a seriously dumb thing to do on reflection) and was able to get some movement.

On taking the reel apart, I find that one of the oscillating guide pins was seized, so that the guide was not able to travel up and down the worm gear. I managed to extract the pin, clean it up and thought that all would be good. However, on putting the oscillating mechanism back together, I find that the slider gets stuck half way along the worm gear. So.... I suspect that either there is damage to the worm gear, or damage to the oscillating pawl (which is that bit that engages it the worm gear). A close examination of the worm gear shows a bit of damage at the lower end, but not in the area where the oscillating pawl appears to catch. I think the oscillating pawl is ok - but its hard for me to tell as I don't have a good one onto compare it with.

Would very much appreciate any pointers!

Bryan Young

Unfortunately, this usually requires a new worm drive and worm pawl.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

johndtuttle

Quote from: Bryan Young on January 04, 2016, 04:26:37 PM
Unfortunately, this usually requires a new worm drive and worm pawl.

Pretty sure Bryan is right on here. Its a pretty sensitive mechanism to any deformation or wear. If you only replaced the pawl, it might work, but you would be hastening the demise of the new one or the worm or both.

Replacing them both and starting fresh will very likely save you headaches long term. Shimano is usually very reasonable on part cost.