113hsp conv 113hlw

Started by Johncgumfory, January 06, 2016, 03:45:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johncgumfory

Hello all ! New here and to reel repair and have recently acquired a used 113hsp and wanting to use the reel
For yacking baits out in the surf and am curious if it is possible to transform this reel into a 113hlw with an aluminum spool for extra line capacity ? If so where would one acquire such parts and what would estimated cost be ? Thanks for any and all info . John

cbar45

Hello, Yes there are a number of ways to convert your 113hsp to a 113hlw..
Staying with stock parts, you will need the 113hlw frame (either graphite or the older version that uses a conventional reel foot/stand), 113hlw spool, and 113hlw posts/crossbars..

mysticparts.com is a great source for older and current parts.

Here is the graphite frame kit:
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/183-113HLWSP.aspx

Here is the spool:
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/29L-113HLW.aspx

And here are the posts:
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/37-113HLW.aspx

As you can see, it might be more cost-effective purchasing a used 113hlw, or piecing together the spool, stand/frame, and posts/crossbars seperately...Parts numbers as follows:

Spool: 29-113hlw
Stand: 30-113hlw
Posts (x5): 37-113hlw

1. The above is what you need to make an older "posts" version of the 113hlw..
2. You can also swap out the four side posts for a set of two solid crossbars (37a-113hlw) which will be a bit stronger and is what I prefer in  
    a stock 113hlw..
3. To create a newer graphite-frame version 113hlw, you would purchase one of the posts, spool, and the acompanying graphite frame
   (183-113hlw)..

I'm not sure how much drag you're fishing, but the wide frame 4/0's have been known to twist out of alignment if too much drag is used...That's when the aftermarket options of Tiburon/Accurate/Newell conversions come in, among others...It's a door to a whole plethora of parts I'm sure someone else on here can help you with, should you decide to go that route..

Chad

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Johncgumfory

Chad " thank you " that's exactly the info I was looking for ! Okay so now here's a new question , the reel I have is I'm guessing older it has all crossbars , would the graphite frame fit the screw holes in the side plates or is that for a different reel ? Also if one had the 113hlw reel stand could one , well could I possibly take some stainless steel bar stock and just machine drill and tap to fit spool width ? And another idea I had was possibly using some flat bar and how some posts are right next to each other making that a solid piece where it's one bar instead of 2 posts ? Do you follow me ? I don't know if anyone has tried this or if it's possible just sitting here looking at this thing , getting a few ideas . Appereciate the help ! Thanks you

cbar45

John,

The graphite frame should be a direct fit for your 113hsp sideplates as they both use the same 8-screw pattern..
Regarding your thoughts on machining/extending your reel to hold more line, that was actually one of the only options before aftermarket kits became available...It has been done before and if you have the skills/expertise, it may be worth a try...Who knows, you just might start something new in the world of 113hlw's...;)

Chad

Johncgumfory

Shark Hunter

Great response Chad. I am impressed for a newcomer to be so knowledgeable.
Me, I prefer the easy route. Throw $200 at a stock 113h. Wala! ;D

Life is Good!

foakes

Great response and good advice, Chad --

There are many knowledgeable folks out there -- and it is good to see them joining in and sharing so capably.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

cbar45

Glad to be of help..

John,

I almost forgot, but when going from stand/posts configuration to a graphite frame you need to also swap out the three (short) bottom stand screws on each sideplate for the longer ones, gives you more holding power..

Johncgumfory

Thanks again sir's !! Exactly the info I was looking for  . Oh and shark hunter what's that main gear sitting next to your knife ? Looks interesting !!

Shark Hunter

That is a Black Pearl main gear with one of Adam's Inserts from Motive Fabrication.

Life is Good!