What changes, if any, to the reels in this post would you make?

Started by Dominick, February 02, 2011, 05:17:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Hi All:  I just signed up for the WON Tuna Jackpot Tournament November 2-5, 2011.  If lucky the Tuna run 100 to 300lbs.  I only own Penn reels so I intend to bring:

113hn, with 50lb mono,
Torque 300, also 50lb mono,
International 30, 2 speed, with 80lb mono, and
International 50VSW. 
The 50VSW has 50lb Spectra which I will be removing.  What line rating would you use for the 50?

With regard to all of these reels would you suggest I hot rod them in some way?  At a minimum add larger handles?  I serviced all of these reels and they are in top condition.  I also set them for maximum drag given the line weight.  All suggestions will be appreciated.  Thanks in advance, Dominick.

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Keta

I don't know if there are gear restrictions for the tournament but here's what I'd do.

113hn, with 50lb mono,   Leave it on shore or use it for making bait

Torque 300, also 50lb mono,    Leave it on shore

International 30, 2 speed, with 80lb mono, Remove the mono and replace it with 100lb hollow spectra and a 100' 80lb high vis mono topshot (I'm assuming you will be trolling)  This reel should be set up to run around 28lbs of drag at strike, if you are trolling freespool isn't that much of a concern.

International 50VSW.  Remove the mono and replace it with 130lb hollow spectra with a 100' 80lb hi viz mono topshot (agian I'm assuming you will be trolling) This reel should also be set up to run around 28lbs of drag at strike, and again if you are trolling freespool isn't that much of a concern.

Have fun.

As for brand I prefer Jerry Brown but there are several good brands to chose from.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Definitely bigger angled handles.  I originally though the 6/0 handles were...HUGE, but after trying it out, it's very comfortable when you got something on the other end of the line.

For the 50VSW, I have no recommendations, but CharkBait recommends 500 yards of 135# spectra with 80-100# topshot.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SoCalAngler

I have a couple of questions before I can make any recommendations. First do you fish long range or do you plan to in the future? Is fishing the tourney a one time deal or do you plan on fishing more of them and I don't mean just the WON tourney? The reason I ask this is because there is definitely some hot rodding that can be done to the bigger reels.

The more I think about it the more questions I have. I will try to put it a little differently though. How you rig up your gear will depend on how you will be targeting the fish. There different ways to setup your gear for the type of fishing you intend to do, be it live bait or trolling artificial lures.

Fishing from a yacht or Sport Fisher is much different from fishing from a Long Range boat. On a SF you have the ability to chase big fish where as a LR you do not, so from a SF reel capacity as far as line yardage goes is not a huge concern.

If it were me going to fish the tourney or just setting up my reels I would put 100lb hollow spectra on the 30 and 130lb hollow on the 50. Do yourself a favor and get a quality spectra like JB as mentioned or something similar, do not skimp here you will only regret it sooner or later. With these types of setups you can rig the reels the way you want before you leave, while in Cabo or on the boat. When I speak of rigging the reels I mean for their topshots, where you can tie, finger cuff/Sato crimp or go with loop to loop connections for them.

I would definitely bring the Baja Special and the Torque and not just for bait. You will be hunting big tuna but there are other divisions that pay out as well like Wahoo and Dorado. 

SoCalAngler

Dominick

Hey, thanks guys. 
SoCal and Keta are in agreement (mostly).  Keta, no gear restrictions.  I will definately ramp up the line on the 30 and the 50.  Keta, as far as the 113hn and the Torque 300, some of the pangeros go for big Tuna with these reels, though I don't want to fight a Tuna for a couple of hours.  In Tournament fishing you want to get the fish in the boat ASAP and keep on fishing.  So the heavy line suggestions are the way I'll go.  SoCal I do not do long range fishing.  I fish Baja about 7-8 days a year and mostly trolling from sportfishers.  We occasionally live-line with Sardinas but put the rod in the rod holder, peel off a bunch of line then fling the Sardina out, pick up the rod and keep peeling off line as the Sardina straightens the line. Bryan, do you or Alan have angled handles?  Alan, SoCal is correct the tournament is in Cabo San Lucas.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bryan Young

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=158.0

I used to like the 2/0 for smaller reels, then tried the feel of the 4/0.  Then Alan gave me the Makaira with 6/0 handle to play with and definitely, it felt better, even on smaller reels.

6/0 handle are the way to go.

all are angled.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

My recommendations on the smaller two reels was based the tourney and didn't consider other fishing. 

I go with 10' mono or fluro topshots when flylining live bait.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: BryanYoung on February 02, 2011, 07:41:33 PM
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=158.0

I used to like the 2/0 for smaller reels, then tried the feel of the 4/0.  Then Alan gave me the Makaira with 6/0 handle to play with and definitely, it felt better, even on smaller reels.

6/0 handle are the way to go.

all are angled.
Dominick, for what it's worth, I have the 6/0 kolekar grips on my 114H, 113H, and Int'l 50; the 4/0 on my jigmaster and Daiwa 350H (roughly a wide 3/0).  I wear a size 10 or 11 (XL) glove because no one has ever said I have petite hands. The 6/0 feels great!
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

broadway

Hey Dominick,

Do you have an average size hand or bigger?  If so I would go with the 6/0... if not go with the 4/0.  I have the 4/0's and I have to say they are very comfortable and love the shape, also.  I can't give you any recommendations for tackle at the level you're going for, but I agree with the loading up with heavier lines.  Especially when everyone on the boat is telling you to keep reelin'... now you'll be able.  
     So, I'm in Costa Rica (Tortuguero Island) fishing on a 24' CC for their monster snook with a shimano spinning reel from the turn of the century (they called their equipment up to date and reliable...they never met Alan, I guess:), with 20 lb. test, in white water rapids, a current of about 10mph, and the charter capt. is telling me to hurry... keep reelin'... come on.  I wanted to throw him off the boat.  I lost the fish on a rock, and had to hear the whole time that I lost it cause I didn't pull the fish in quick enough.  Your question made me think that if I had heavier line on I would have been able to avoid that s*#t...probably still would've lost it.  So, as long winded as it was... GO Heavy!  By the way, best of luck to you at the tourney, pal.
Dom (the other one)

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Keta on February 03, 2011, 02:58:02 AM
My recommendations on the smaller two reels was based the tourney and didn't consider other fishing.  

I go with 10' mono or fluro topshots when flylining live bait.

The tourney has more than one division, yes the largest payout is the tuna division but there are others that pay out also. Also if you choose to get involved in the "side action" (Calcutta's) you have a chance pickup other money for things like largest tuna for the day or largest whaoo for the day ect. and boy the list can go on. Heck it's only money right?

Pesca,
The banks around Cabo hold alot of tuna but not always cows. The reason I was asking about the type of fishing you do with these reels is because there are some trick impovements that can be made to the larger ones other than adding spectra or nicer handles. But, those improvements come at a cost.

I fish Baja as well, my father lives in Peurto Escondido which is around 17 miles south of Loreto. Where you and I differ is we mostly fish live bait. We do troll artificials mostly when moving from one location to another and I fish the iron my, father dosn't like to as much as me. Still our #1 producer is live bait. You may want to try to change up your attack and see if it works out for you too.

Keta

SoCal,
I get tunnel blind when large YFT are around.

Dominik, the fish below were all landed in around 45 minutes with a 50N 2 speed.  I wouldn't recommend fishing for larger YFT without a two speed reel.

Mark Twain

SoCalAngler

Yes me too Keta I love big tuna also but I wouldn't want to catch a Dorado like this on a 50 sized reel.

P.S. Nice fish by the way and on a 50SDS to boot.
P.S.S. Yes the Drodo did win the pay out

alantani

lee, does you beard grow THAT MUCH when you're on a trip?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!