Ruined Brass Parts or Did I

Started by CaptainRMF, January 09, 2016, 03:57:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainRMF

So I started servicing my Dad's old reels for the spring the other day. Got one 349H torn down. Soaked the metal parts for a couple a days in 60/40 Simple Green water with Dawn dish soap and a little CLR mixed in for the rust and green corrosion. All the chrome and steel parts were great. However, all the brass ( bridge, gear sleeve, dog etc.) was gone on these parts. All looked like new COPPER parts. I thought I ruined everything. Panicking I immediately downed a Coors Light and then got an idea. Went downstairs and got my cleaner I use for the Brass foot rail on my bar. Used a buffing wheel in my drill and with a little patience they were shiny Brass again. Since then I cut down the CLR to one teaspoon. Still gets the green off but doesn't hurt the Brass. Hope this helps others like me. Thanks.                      Richy
Richy aka CaptainRMF

Reel 224

I noticed the bridge showed signs of wear under the gear sleeve area. Do you know what that was from?

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

johndtuttle

It might have been the simple green. It can tint stuff with long soaks.

CaptainRMF

Quote from: Reel 224 on January 09, 2016, 04:07:47 PM
I noticed the bridge showed signs of wear under the gear sleeve area. Do you know what that was from?

Joe
Hey Joe, saw that too. So far I've torn down 4 of the 7 349H's and 2 of the 4 have this slight wear pattern, the other 2 have no wear. I'm assuming it's from years of use. Most of these have seen ALOT of use by my Dad and I fishing Blues and Striped Bass the last 40+ yrs. Could be the slot for the sleeve pin is worn a little and cranking the drag putting pressure on the plate. The smooth ones were probably our spare reels that didn't see as much use.
Richy aka CaptainRMF

CaptainRMF

Sorry about the last pic. Didn't know how to rotate it.
Richy aka CaptainRMF

Alto Mare

Quote from: johndtuttle on January 09, 2016, 04:15:21 PM
It might have been the simple green. It can tint stuff with long soaks.
Yup, two days is my limit and it has been working great for me. You leave the parts longer and you're asking for trouble.
Your parts are not ruined, normal reaction.
Grab a brass brush the same size as a toothbrush and put some rubber gloves on.
Keep dipping the brush in straight simple green while hitting the parts with it, it doesn't take much effort.
Soak the parts in warm water afterwards and watch them sparkle.

Joe, the shiny part on the bridge is caused by the washer for under the gear, it isn't damaged, it's actually smoother and flatter than a new bridge...worn to perfection.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel 224

Joe, the shiny part on the bridge is caused by the washer for under the gear, it isn't damaged, it's actually smoother and flatter than a new bridge...worn to perfection.
Sal

That explains the shinny circle! Okay Sal. I would give anything to work with you on reels for a week, and pick your brain. ;) ;D

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Alto Mare

No Joe, I answered too quickly I meant to say the gear sleeve. The shiny part is caused by the gear sleeve and not the washer for under the gear.
Same principal, worn parts work smoother that new, same as you and me, aged to perfection ;) ;D

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel 224

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 09, 2016, 05:25:26 PM
No Joe, I answered too quickly I meant to say the gear sleeve. The shiny part is caused by the gear sleeve and not the washer for under the gear.
Same principal, worn parts work smoother that new, same as you and me, aged to perfection ;) ;D

Sal

Id like to think so. ;D

Joe

foakes

Yes, Captain, as usual, Sal is right --

The coppery reddish reaction is typical after a soak in simple green.

When I am doing large batches of odd Penn parts -- just to put back into future rotation for clients to save them money over new parts -- most of the brass turns that coppery color.  No issues, but I do not clean them up perfectly shiny -- until I am ready to use them at some future date.

These Penn reels are just tools for us to enjoy and use -- work just as well either way -- as long as the parts are clean and free of contamination.

Sort of like a new carpenter showing up to a job site on Monday morning with his new, shiny tools.  Impressive...but the experienced Master Carpenters know that a rough looking saw or hammer will do a fine job in the right hands -- so long as the face of the hammer is square, and the teeth on the saw are sharp and set properly.

Be cautious when doing this on other reel brands -- Penn parts are possibly 2 or 3 times more durable and long lasting than the lighter alloys or plastics used in many reels today.  One will just end up with parts to toss away.

Good job on figuring out the issues.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

swill88

Sal

"Life is a grindstone. Whether it grinds you down or polishes you depends upon what you are made of."
Posted on the wall of my high school football coach.

Steve

Reel 224

Quote from: swill88 on January 09, 2016, 05:32:28 PM

Sal

"Life is a grindstone. Whether it grinds you down or polishes you depends upon what you are made of."
Posted on the wall of my high school football coach.

Steve

I must be made out of old shoe leather or Duracell, because they can't were me out. ;D ;D

Joe

CaptainRMF

HOLY CRAP Fred, that's some spare parts you got there !! Not to worried about ruining newer reels as I don't have any as yet. As you can see me and my Dad stuck with the old Penn's. They've ben working for over 40 yrs. so not about to change what works. Also like the carpenter analogy. Being one I can relate. Still use the same hammer my Dad got me years ago.
Richy aka CaptainRMF

Alto Mare

Fred, if I ever make it your way, I'm afraid a day or two might not be enough to take it all in, I might need a week. ;D
Good idea on the boxes  for dividers, simple and efficient ;)

Captain, the only problem I've noticed when soaking  parts is when I mix different materials, as aluminum ss and brass. I now separate them and do a little at a time. The bridge has both ss and brass, but has never given me problems.
Sal

CaptainRMF

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 09, 2016, 07:04:11 PM
Fred, if I ever make it your way, I'm afraid a day or two might not be enough to take it all in, I might need a week. ;D
Good idea on the boxes  for dividers, simple and efficient ;)

Captain, the only problem I've noticed when soaking  parts is when I mix different materials, as aluminum ss and brass. I now separate them and do a little at a time. The bridge has both ss and brass, but has never given me problems.
Sal
That's good to know Sal, thanks. As of now, though, I only have 2 aluminum spools from my 113HL's and I washed them by hand with Dawn dish soap. Would the side plates and steel gears be ok in the soak with the rest of the stuff or not ?
Richy aka CaptainRMF