PORTER CABLE bench sander (good deal)

Started by STRIPER LOU, January 03, 2016, 09:26:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRIPER LOU

My old bench sander died last week. I hated that thing from the first day I bought it and should have brought it back!

Looked on flea bay and they seemed to have cheapies and then jump to outrageous. Found a Porter Cable on there that looked pretty good at $235. I remembered Lowes carried PC and checked their website.
$179. Now its getting better. When I got there I had trouble finding one as they were on the floor of a bottom shelf. No display. Sales person said no problem, he opened one up and put it on the shelf. He went to the computer to price it out and told me it was at a new lower price of $159. Getting even better! This unit really looked solid.
I had a copy of my DD214 with me and asked if he would honor the military discount. No problem. So it was $143.10 plus tax for a total of $152.19. I was happy until I tried to get it in the trunk. Boy that sucka is heavy!
Cast iron base, plenty of sheet metal, and a small amount of plastic. 3/4hp and even has a dust collection system. Great power, pretty darn smooth, no vibration to speak of, disc portion great, and the belt portion adjusts from vertical to horizontal position. Been using it and liking it. Here's a few pics. Please excuse the messy shop as I've been really busy lately.

If your looking for one its solid at a very good price point.
All the best,  ..  Lou

Forgot to say the belt is 4x36 and the disc is 8".

swill88

Good buy!

One day a few years ago I was fumbling for my credit card at Lowes and the checkout gal saw my VA medical card and told me I get a 10% discount!

Wish I knew that 30 years ago and before multithousands of $ spent as a GC!

Oh well...

foakes

That is an outstanding value on that Porter Cable -- they make quality power tools.

I have a few small power tools by PC (router, dovetail jigs, nail guns, biscuit cutter joiner) -- never a failure or out of adjustment -- rock solid.

Home Depot also offers a 10% military discount for active or discharged vets.  Just got to ask.  Generally handles the tax.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Very nice Lou, I 'm also admiring that lathe in the back ;).
I've been using power tools for some time, I have a couple of worm drive skilsaws, somehow I always have the porter cable circular saw in my hand.
Love that saw, I've been using it for some time now and still working nicely.
Porter cable makes nice tools, not crazy about their sawzalls, but I like most tools they have available.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

STRIPER LOU

I agree with you both. Sal I have a Porter cable HD drywall gun that is absolutely the best. As for the lathe, here's another pic. I've been using it almost every day! The CNC benchtop mill I've been working on is in need of some parts that are very difficult to get. A guy has what I need but doesn't want to sell them. He want's to buy the machine. I'm still looking and hope to get lucky. If I get this going I can make endless toys!!! If all else fails I can sell him the machine and start looking all over again, UGH!

swill88

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 03, 2016, 10:32:26 PM
Very nice Lou, I 'm also admiring that lathe in the back ;).
I've been using power tools for some time, I have a couple of worm drive skilsaws, somehow I always have the porter cable circular saw in my hand.
Love that saw, I've been using it for some time now and still working nicely.
Porter cable makes nice tools, not crazy about their sawzalls, but I like most tools they have available.

Sal

Agreed... the PC sawzalls lack the Milwaukee power bit they have a bit of finesse.  My fav is the double articulating saw 90deg 90deg. If you need it once it's paid for.

Three se7ens

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on January 03, 2016, 11:27:07 PM
I agree with you both. Sal I have a Porter cable HD drywall gun that is absolutely the best. As for the lathe, here's another pic. I've been using it almost every day! The CNC benchtop mill I've been working on is in need of some parts that are very difficult to get. A guy has what I need but doesn't want to sell them. He want's to buy the machine. I'm still looking and hope to get lucky. If I get this going I can make endless toys!!! If all else fails I can sell him the machine and start looking all over again, UGH!

Very nice, the lathe caught my eye in the first pic too, Im glad you posted a pic.  It sure is clean.

PM me with the issues you are running into with the mill.  If I can help, Id be happy to. 

gstours

Ya a few powertools can make work easier, and faster but that lathe is just fantastic!    I am GREEN with envy,  it opens doors that are only open for the lucky guys, and thats you.    enjoy and keep being creative.