Accurate spool corrosion, am I stupid?

Started by garyal, January 10, 2016, 06:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garyal

IOn my recent 13 day trip out of san Diego, I brought along 4 older Accurates and a whole set of brand new Accurates. I noticed on three of the older reels, (1-bx-2 and 2-DPX2) some pretty significant spool corrosion down the sidewall of the spools as shown in the first attached photo. It really bothered me because I had never experienced this on any reels before. I also had just spooled up 7 new Accurate reels and I definatley do not want to ruin all these new reels!

1) I had never waxed ANY spools before! (ignorance)
2) My pre-fishing NEW reel service consisted of greasing the mounting studs and spraying the outside of the reel with some corrosion X. (again, ignorance)
3) My post fishing routine included spray down with Salt-X and rinse with fresh water on the boat then one more fresh water rinse at home, air dry and then spray down and wipe with corrosion X.

OK, I tried to clean up the corrosion with a wire brush on a Dremmel and I got rid of all the corrosion but was left with major pitting that would just get corroded again. I went ahead and bought three new spools from Accurate and replaced them.

Here is what I then did. Let me know if I am stupid or if this should help avoid any more corrosion on spools.

1) Tore down all new and old Accurates.
2) Packed all bearing with grease except oil on spool bearings.
3) Applied 4 coats of wax to the new spools.
4) Removed line from new reels and cleaned spools then applied 4 coats of wax.
5) Here is where I was probably stupid: I Put down a layer of finger tape. tied on the  spectra , made about 20 wraps on the spool at high drag, then sprayed on a little corrosion X and let it soak into these wraps at the very bottom of the spool.
6) I them proceed to wind on all the line at high tension with a high end Triangle line winder.
7) Once done and after wiping them down I spray the whole reel with Boeshield and let dry then wipe down a last time.

I just figured that with the high end line winder to make certain I loaded the spectra very tight, I would not slip on the spool and a little corrosion X would help fight the corrosion on the spool.

I now plan to removed the spectra every second season and wash it, dry it and re-wax the spool before reinstalling.

I figure that if the Boeshield is good enough to use on aluminum aircraft assembly, it is good enough for aluminum fishing reels!

johndtuttle

No need to get too crazy, the fundamental issue was salt soaked line being left on the reel. With the huge capacity of spectra these reels have saltwater rarely gets all the way down to the spindle (though what you did probably didn't hurt anything if the line doesn't slip) but there simply is no substitute for un-spooling the reels before long term storage. No rinse or other attempt at protection will hold up forever.

garyal

John,

I have been going thru each of my 25 reels. I have not found any more with spool corrosion. However, it takes a lot of time to unspool the line onto those Scotty MFG. washing spools. washing it. Then even longer for them to dry after washing the line by putting the spool into the toilet tank for a few days then leaving it for a LONG time to dry out.

What if I just unspooled the line, cleaned and waxed the spool and then rewound the line without washing it? Would this be OK? I would do this after each season....

johndtuttle

Quote from: garyal on January 13, 2016, 05:52:36 PM
John,

I have been going thru each of my 25 reels. I have not found any more with spool corrosion. However, it takes a lot of time to unspool the line onto those Scotty MFG. washing spools. washing it. Then even longer for them to dry after washing the line by putting the spool into the toilet tank for a few days then leaving it for a LONG time to dry out.

What if I just unspooled the line, cleaned and waxed the spool and then rewound the line without washing it? Would this be OK? I would do this after each season....

Braid holds a lot of salt. Unless the line is rinsed thoroughly and replaced dry it is not a question of if it will corrode, its a question of when.

If it makes you feel better I too have spools that I neglected and got a few spots of corrosion ;).

Everyone has to balance how much effort they put into dealing with this issue versus dealing with the consequences.

SoCalAngler

It is my understanding that spectra does not absorb water, sure water may cling onto the line when reeling it back onto a reel but it also will with mono lines.

On several of my reels I run long mono topper over spectra and have been doing it for around 10 years now and I think if saltwater being trapped was the issue it would happen on those reels first.

What I think may have happened was the spool had a scratch even a micro scratch very hard to see and the reel may have been put away with wet line. Wet or moist salt is more corrosive than dry and will eat away at anything metal quicker and the longer it stays damp the more damage it can do. So after fishing your gear try not to put it way/trap moisture until it has had time to fully dry, for me that's a few days in a warm dry place.

I do add a protectant to the spool when adding spectra lines on my reels but I have not ever spooled off my line to rinse it. Maybe I'm lucky but I have not had any issues with spool corrosion like this....yet 

johndtuttle

Quote from: SoCalAngler on January 14, 2016, 02:09:23 AM
It is my understanding that spectra does not absorb water, sure water may cling onto the line when reeling it back onto a reel but it also will with mono lines.

On several of my reels I run long mono topper over spectra and have been doing it for around 10 years now and I think if saltwater being trapped was the issue it would happen on those reels first.

What I think may have happened was the spool had a scratch even a micro scratch very hard to see and the reel may have been put away with wet line. Wet or moist salt is more corrosive than dry and will eat away at anything metal quicker and the longer it stays damp the more damage it can do. So after fishing your gear try not to put it way/trap moisture until it has had time to fully dry, for me that's a few days in a warm dry place.

I do add a protectant to the spool when adding spectra lines on my reels but I have not ever spooled off my line to rinse it. Maybe I'm lucky but I have not had any issues with spool corrosion like this....yet 

It doesn't absorb water, but a lot clings to the weave. Enough to cause trouble.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: johndtuttle on January 14, 2016, 03:46:22 AM
Quote from: SoCalAngler on January 14, 2016, 02:09:23 AM

It doesn't absorb water, but a lot clings to the weave. Enough to cause trouble.

Yes just like it will with mono or fluoro lines, no more or less. Actually mono does absorb water as does fluoro but fluoro absorbs way less and spectra absorbs zero.

Just wanted to state the facts.