2013 SW Stella 14000 drag issue

Started by aweiboon, January 11, 2016, 02:42:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aweiboon

Hi all,

Am new to this forum and will appreciate your advices on the below.

Had been using my stella 14k for several GT trips and reckon its about time I should do some cleaning and regreasing to the drag to keep it smooth.

However, as far as I understand, the 2013 SW Stella had a "Twindrag" system like the old 18k for reel size 8000 onwards. I have no issue removing the top portion of drag for servicing but was having trouble removing the drag pieces underneath the spool to do some basic regreasing. Its made up of a metal rim and a plastic "lookalike" material with jagged edge. Seemed to me that a special tool will be require to open up this part of the spool and any other tools like pilers could probably leave some nasty scratched on the spool itself.

As far as I understand from some other threads in this forum that the portion I have mentioned should be turn in anti-clockwise manner. To all the experienced anglers here, please kindly advise on the tools you have been using to remove this part of the spool.

THANKS!!

handi2

I haven't see a homemade tool to get those covers off. These is nothing to grab. I'm sure Shimano would have to do it.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Wolli

you have to make an easy to do little tool which fits in the marked cuts in the drag cover (RD15778)
I made mine from aluminium, guess that hard wood will work too.

good luck

Wolli
love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

handi2

Yes that will work but his cover is smooth with nothing inside or out to grab onto.
Gulf Breeze, FL

Wolli

interesting but hard to believe. Had all 2013 models on my bench already.

Do you have a pic?

aweiboon

Thanks for the replies! So we do actually turn from the metal portion or the "Plastic tooth" portion??

Wolli

you have to turn only the metal Drag Cover!
Watch enclosed schematic

exp2000

Quote from: Wolli on January 13, 2016, 10:43:41 PM
you have to make an easy to do little tool which fits in the marked cuts in the drag cover (RD15778)
I made mine from aluminium, guess that hard wood will work too.
good luck
Wolli

I just posted this exact same question; then saw this thread so thanks, I will give it a try.

I tried this with a pair of internal callipers but perhaps more  torque is required.

The plastic "click gear" that sits inside has two raised teeth that sit in two of the four indents in the drag cover to hold it stationery I assume.

Brett.
~

handi2

I was wrong about his drag cover. Some of the other Stella reels have nothing to grab onto.

I had 2 come in with this style cover and it came right off. The reels were fairly new.
Gulf Breeze, FL

Dominick

Try a headless nail and vice grips.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.