Workbench/storage Expansion

Started by Tightlines667, January 11, 2016, 06:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Slapped together a 36"X36"X24" workbench/storage extension for my dinning room turned workspace today.

I built it to store my larger tools (Spooling Machine, Arbor Press, Benchtop Vice, Grider, Polisher, & future bench top sharpener) on heavy plywood base modules that can be stored under the bench, and pulled out as needed.  It also houses 9 standard Plano boxes, and will hold 6 Dewalt boxes w/removable boxes full of parts.  Sonic cleaner, and line will go on the shelf to the right.  I am also going to get some rubbermade bins to store large reel parts, bagged used parts, and rod wrapping supplies under the bench.  I will likely add a backdrop with a built on rod dryer at a later date.  This should give me the 8' of total Benchtop space needed to set up the power wrapper as well.  Did it on the cheap (~$120 in wood/supplies), and it only took a couple of hours to throw together.  

Trying to find enough space to repair reels, and maybe start wrapping rods, along with my burgeoning reel collection in a small apartment has its challenges.  I feel I made a little progress today anyways.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

sdlehr

Looks like it could be quite funcitional, John. Well done!
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Jeri

Hi John,

A small observation on what we have found works very well, is using the 'work top' from kitchen units as the main work bench. The melamine or hard platic surface is dead easy to keep clean, and provides a nice smooth surface to work from.

We use them in our rod building workshop, as they are very stable and don't warp or twist, our biggest problem is getting work benches that are 15-16' long for our long surf rods. The rod dryers are then all wall mounted, so we use the wall space behind the work bench to best effect, and have a stack of 4 dryers, so we can keep building surf rods, while some are drying. Might be a problem in a small apartment, but the work top idea might save a lot of mess.

Cheers from sunny Africa,

Jeri

day0ne

Quote from: Tightlines666 on January 11, 2016, 06:05:41 AM
Slapped together a 36"X36"X24" workbench/storage extension for my dinning room turned workspace today.

Trying to find enough space to repair reels, and maybe start wrapping rods, along with my burgeoning reel collection in a small apartment has its challenges.  I feel I made a little progress today anyways.

That's why I tried to rent 2 bedroom apts when I lived in an apt. I covered the floor of the second bedroom with Masonite to protect the carpet and used it for a workroom. My wife now lets me have a whole bedroom in the house.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Tightlines667

Jeri,
I was actually thinking about what you said the other day about keeping reel repair, and rod wrapping surfaces seperate.  Due to my limited space, not really an option, but I was considering some kind of full length surface mat that could be rolled up when not in use, like a plastic, vinyl, rubber type mat or something.  I think a full length countertop would make a great working surface, just not sure about storage when I'm focusing on reel work.  Still havn'the decided about the backdrop.. may pull the metal one off, and build a wood backing with top shelf, and room to mount a rod dryer underneith.  Probably just start with a single rod benchtop dryer though. 
Hope springs eternal

Jeri

Hi,

We use the Pacbay type rod dryers, and because they are on individual wooden stands, they can be mounted anywhere. We have them screwed direct to the wall, but obviously not appropriate for your application, but if you had a full length shelf, then the dryer motor unit could be mounted under the shelf, and then a small side shelf to rest the roller unit on to accomodate the length of your rods.

With the worktop type surface, because it is easy to clean, then you can do all your reel repairs and services on it, and then a good clean before you start any rod work. We just buy the work tops, and then fix them to whatever we need to that is underneath. Cheap kitchen units are what we are looking for in the garage tackle shorage area, and then a work top over the top. Clean flat surfaces are a premium.

My reel service area is away from the rod benches in our workshop, so I don't have to keep cleaning it of oil spills and the like, but in a compact environment, then a dual purpose surface might well be the answer.

Cheers

Jeri

Ron Jones

I like your Plano box storage. Your Kobalt overhead shelf is more than strong enough to cantilever a full length shelf for a dryer out of 1x stock. Maybe even 2 if you have the production to need more than one.
Good, logical set up.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Tightlines667

I appreciate all the tips and feedback.  

I decided to ad a backdrop, with 2 shelves to the newly built bench.

Here's the result...

I should be able to mount one or 2 rod dryers on the backdrop now, and I gained a bit more shelve space.
Hope springs eternal

sdlehr

Quote from: Tightlines666 on January 11, 2016, 06:05:41 AM

Jealous of your ultrasonic cleaner. I'm using one that is intended to clean small pieces of jewelry - very slowly. I usually let it run for 30-40 minutes, maybe more when I forget it's on (it's on the bathroom sink counter). My wife keeps reminding me to keep the bathroom presentable, like we have regular guests (we do not).

Sid
Sid Lehr

Tightlines667

Quote from: sdlehr on January 17, 2016, 05:49:59 AM
Jealous of your ultrasonic cleaner. I'm using one that is intended to clean small pieces of jewelry - very slowly. I usually let it run for 30-40 minutes, maybe more when I forget it's on (it's on the bathroom sink counter). My wife keeps reminding me to keep the bathroom presentable, like we have regular guests (we do not).

Sid

Sid,

I have been very happy with this unit. It is simple, powerful, and big enough to handle 130 class reels.  Also reminds me of my former life in the lab. Gotta loveFisher Scientific.
Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

Guess I can'tell leave well enough alone.  I decided to the Jeri'so advice and install a 2'X 8' countertop.  I managed to score a new one for $40 because it had a chip.  This should now give me the proper bench top surface, and space, while maintaining parts and tool storage.  My dining room has officially been converted into a workshop. 

Hope springs eternal

sdlehr

My work surface is plywood now. I'm looking at yours with jealous eyes. The plywood soaks up grease and dirt. Your way is an improvement. I can get a piece of laminate for $40. It might happen... I haven't done any rod building in a while, not since I've soaked my work surface with grease. It might be a necessity... ;D

Sid
Sid Lehr

Shark Hunter

You are on a roll John. That last upgrade puts it over the top. ;D
Man on a Mission. ;)
Life is Good!

Bill B

Sid,before I went nomad, I used to cover my bench tops with "tempered hard board" common at the big box construction store...found it somewhat grease and liquid resistant and easily replaced..I would glue it down with a white glue then scrape it up when no longer serviceable....if I could have gotten Johns bench top that cheap, I would have done that for sure...Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!