ABU Sweden Ambassadeur 5000 D - why the anti-reverse dog?

Started by Jon_Kol, January 11, 2016, 11:44:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon_Kol

Hi!

Yesterday I serviced an older (1978) ABU Sweden Ambassadeur 5000 D for one of my costumers at work. This was my first meeting with the D-series, and of course my first impression - when seeing that the handle went backwards - was "oh, there's something wrong with the anti-reverse on this one". :D

The anti-reverse dog was indeed out of place, but re-fitting it obviously did not affect anything, as the handle still goes backwards after the service. Now, I know (after reading about it) that the reel is designed to do just that - kinda like a flyfishing reel does.

EDIT: Thanks for pointing out the dog effect on the drag.

The reel turned out fine after a quick service and though freespool is only like five seconds or so, it will still do the job for the guy who owns it - very light trolling for trout in his favorite lake here in southern Norway.

Hope to hear from you regarding the dog and its purpose.

Robert Janssen

For the drag.

The handle does turn backwards yes, but there is still a functioning drag. Without the dog, there wouldn't be.

Jon_Kol

Quote from: Robert Janssen on January 11, 2016, 03:08:41 PM
For the drag.

The handle does turn backwards yes, but there is still a functioning drag. Without the dog, there wouldn't be.

Great, thanks! I couldn't figure out why I didn't hear the dog "kick in", but I guess the sound is also less audible due to the performance of the handle and spool while adjusting the drag.

Thanks for clearing this up for me. :)

Classic Mako

Yep makes the drag work.

Why back up?    Think  "bait feeding".  I have 5 of them and use them for mooching for Chinook Salmon.    After the initial "peck" by the fish,  you must back feed the bait (plug cut herring) to the fish so the salmon will then grab the bait and swallow it "head first".  Then a fast reel up and hook set. 

Much easier with a direct drive reel vs. a free spool.

The D models were used by steelhead fishermen also, 'cause you need to back feed the lure so it will travel down steam with the current.

newport

I thought you were just talking about the slight backplay when the dog hits the teeth of the ratchet gear.