Re-bearings.

You guys spin on the boat mostly with the ss reels
or off the pier so there is no sand, i on the other hand
use my reels from the shore and putting grease
in there, put it this way i opened 2 of my reels from
a beach session few weeks back and under the router cup
the dogs etc were covered in sand, so cleaned that off
and re-oiled, rest of reel including bearings were still
in great order, so just cleaned them and 2 drops of oil.

I have learned a lot from you guys, yep we don't have
your fish in our waters that's for sure but i might have
come across as an idiot, far from it but i could of put
my point over a bit better.

There you go, im man enough to say what ive said
and if you don't like it, well you know what you can do lol.

Only joking on that last bit guys put the guns down lol.

Tight lines to all for 2016.

fishhawk

x2 paul! grease n sand do not mix! Glad to see another surf fisherman on here!
Mark

Fisherman Paul

Quote from: fishhawk on January 11, 2016, 01:41:43 PM
x2 paul! grease n sand do not mix! Glad to see another surf fisherman on here!
Mark

Hi Mark, as they say if it works don't fix it.

If my reels were a woman, (got to be careful here lol)
she would be very well looked after, better than the wife
come to think about it lol.

newport

Apology for what? What did I miss? Lol.

So I'm a surf fisherman as well, but as long as I don't drop my reels in the sand or dunk my reel underwater,  my reels do fine; however, on especially hard, windy days--when sand is blowing everywhere--the sand will get in regardless of how much grease you put in. JMO.

johndtuttle

Not to worry Paul, if you do your reading here we get around to covering most topics in depth but there are always more than one way to "skin a cat" as it were.

Every bearing has it's own special role and have an "ideal" way to handle them, but that also depends on the use of the reel and the fisho using it.

ie Spool Bearings we normally say to oil them for max speed (as we use them for casting very light live baits) but we have also recommended greasing them for reels that are not used to cast or to let the grease act as "casting brakes" to slow the reel down if bird-nesting is a problem etc etc. So every bearing has its own approach, that can be modified as needed depending on the actual use! :)

The only rule is "do what makes you and your reel happy" and share your stoke! Its really not a complicated topic, just one many are unfamiliar with and we like to help them out. :D

Fisherman Paul

Quote from: newport on January 11, 2016, 08:06:56 PM

So I'm a surf fisherman as well, but as long as I don't drop my reels in the sand or dunk my reel underwater,  my reels do fine; however, on especially hard, windy days--when sand is blowing everywhere--the sand will get in regardless of how much grease you put in. JMO.

Windy day it was, sand up me skirt an all lol.

Bit like having a wife, all is now calm, but soon
the storm will be faced but it better be ready,
life threatening issue coming up soon,
so to those i came across like a prat, ignore it (me).

Fisherman Paul

Quote from: johndtuttle on January 11, 2016, 08:19:31 PM
Not to worry Paul, if you do your reading here we get around to covering most topics in depth but there are always more than one way to "skin a cat" as it were.

Every bearing has it's own special role and have an "ideal" way to handle them, but that also depends on the use of the reel and the fisho using it.

ie Spool Bearings we normally say to oil them for max speed (as we use them for casting very light live baits) but we have also recommended greasing them for reels that are not used to cast or to let the grease act as "casting brakes" to slow the reel down if bird-nesting is a problem etc etc. So every bearing has its own approach, that can be modified as needed depending on the actual use! :)

The only rule is "do what makes you and your reel happy" and share your stoke! Its really not a complicated topic, just one many are unfamiliar with and we like to help them out. :D

Faultless reel for the shore. Spot on ;)

fishhawk

So I'm a surf fisherman as well, but as long as I don't drop my reels in the sand or dunk my reel underwater,  my reels do fine; however, on especially hard, windy days--when sand is blowing everywhere--the sand will get in regardless of how much grease you put in.
Man, it's always windy on our beaches! Sand don't seem to get in my bearings so bad, But it gets in the side plates perty bad, Hey maybe thats a good thing! It catches all the sand! lol

Fisherman Paul

Quote from: fishhawk on January 11, 2016, 09:40:00 PM

So I'm a surf fisherman as well, but as long as I don't drop my reels in the sand or dunk my reel underwater,  my reels do fine; however, on especially hard, windy days--when sand is blowing everywhere--the sand will get in regardless of how much grease you put in.
Man, it's always windy on our beaches! Sand don't seem to get in my bearings so bad, But it gets in the side plates perty bad, Hey maybe thats a good thing! It catches all the sand! lol

Hi Mark, eeeeasey on the vino buddy lol

fishhawk

steelfish

good to see more surf fishing fans here at AT.com

I certainly enjoy a bit more fishing on the surf or from the rocks than fishing on a boat, but I do a lot of boat fishing cuz our beaches dont have any fishing bigger than 3-4lb and those are the monsters, normally you can catch 1-2lb spotted bass, 3-4lb trigger fish and with some luck few 3-4lb seabass but thats it.

if you want some fun and some fish for dinner you have to get on a panga and get some sierras, grouper, yellowtail, etc.
but like I said my favorite is rock fishing and surf fishing cuz I always do it with my kids and wife.

hey Paul, what rod and reel do you use and where do you fish? targeting species?
The Baja Guy

Fisherman Paul

Quote from: steelfish on January 11, 2016, 10:37:38 PM
good to see more surf fishing fans here at AT.com

I certainly enjoy a bit more fishing on the surf or from the rocks than fishing on a boat, but I do a lot of boat fishing cuz our beaches dont have any fishing bigger than 3-4lb and those are the monsters, normally you can catch 1-2lb spotted bass, 3-4lb trigger fish and with some luck few 3-4lb seabass but thats it.

if you want some fun and some fish for dinner you have to get on a panga and get some sierras, grouper, yellowtail, etc.
but like I said my favorite is rock fishing and surf fishing cuz I always do it with my kids and wife.

hey Paul, what rod and reel do you use and where do you fish? targeting species?

Shore i fish matches, won 2 opens last year (5 open wins in total)

Shore Teams x 2

8 trophies in 2 years club match fishing

River fishing (club) Salmon and Wild brown trout

Boat i used to fish in a club for 8 years with some
of the best in the game.

But the fishing in America i would swap any day of the week,
a tuna or sailfish or a shore caught shark would have
my heart rate near exploding.

Plaice, fluke, colies, Bass, dogs, cod, thorn back ray (17 last year)
pleasure fishing from the shore, size about 5-8lb.

Trawlers have the place ruined saw 7 trawlers 300 yards
from the shore a few years back.

Caught skate and spurdog boat fishing many years ago.

Caught 100's of double figure rainbow trout PB at 18lb 8oz
on a 9'6" fly rod size 22 grey duster dry fly.

Reels and rods, i have many over 20 years old, to many to list
but compared to some on here i am not worthy.

Don't get out these days as much as i would like due to family
life etc but ive a lot of good memories.

steelfish

Quote from: Fisherman Paul on January 11, 2016, 11:32:10 PM

Reels and rods, i have many over 20 years old, to many to list
but compared to some on here i am not worthy.

every single fishing reel is worthy as long as is still catching fish.
The Baja Guy

twotone

No apologies Paul. As long as a the rod is bent it's good no matter where you fish. 
twotone

Fisherman Paul

Quote from: twotone on January 12, 2016, 07:08:29 AM
No apologies Paul. As long as a the rod is bent it's good no matter where you fish. 

I hear you babe ;) I agree, im fishing 24 hours a day
in my head, take this morning ive 5 good fish and lost
2 ;D or is that 3 ;D

Thinking of changing my fly line :D

Yeah its great when you get that tap tap on the tip
or that take and turn.