reel repair station from info gotten off this site

Started by garyal, January 11, 2016, 05:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garyal

I have attached a couple of photos of my reel repair station made from information on this great website.

I was familiar with the electric Milwaukee screw driver as I had one for year but it finally died a decade ago. I order one from Home Depot and it came with two batteries and a charger. It is greatly improved in that it cuts off the power when the torque setting is reached. It does not use the ball clutch so it is GREAT for not stripping really small screws.

I already had the Dremel, line winder and many hand tools. I bought $1 containers from Home depot and two grease guns, one for the needle and one for the great bearing packers from Alan.

For the Yamaha grease I bought the 9 ounce squeeze tube. It fills 3 of the 3 ounce cartridges with no mess no fuss.

In the lower right of the close up photo, you can see a GREAT micro tool kit from WHIA. It is made in Germany and has excellent quality but is a little pricey at $85. This is my tool OCD kicking in!

Also note the small Boca Bearing "work mat". This thing is perfect for working on reels and all the outside rectangular areas have raised edges to give you a place to set tiny parts. at $29 it is also a little pricey but... again, tool OCD takes over.

Tiddlerbasher

Far too tidy and organised - you need to mess it up some ;D

handi2

Those screwdriver bits are expensive but they are very good hollow ground bits. The Philips bit are the best. They hold the screws well.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Dominick

A neat work bench is the sign of a sick mind.   ::)  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

garyal

Reel 224

Great little work station an orderly, I'm starting to plan one now 96"X30"X36" With lots of storage space, because I am a slob when it comes to keeping a neat work area. ;D

Joe   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

sdlehr

Joe, it would be fun to see pics of your work station as it comes together. We can all tell you how to make it better  ;D

Sid
SE FL
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

thorhammer

put up as much pegboard as possible. you can add six inch shelves modularly with strips of 3/8 plywood laid across six inch pegs; occasionally you can find actual pegboard braces for this. Much preferable for small items as you will rearrange a dozen times as you figure out what you use the most. my 02.

Reel 224

Quote from: sdlehr on January 12, 2016, 02:04:36 PM
Joe, it would be fun to see pics of your work station as it comes together. We can all tell you how to make it better  ;D

Sid
SE FL

Sid Ill post step by step pictures as we go along. And I'm sure I will get plenty of suggestion along the way ;D but that's okay I'm open for any suggestions as always.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

garyal

Great Idea on the peg board! As you can see in my original photos, I hav set this up against my 3rd car garage door. I still occasionally need to open this. Therefore I will mount the peg boards to each section of the door so it will still be operable, I will just have to removed the tools before opening.

RowdyW

Why not attach the peg board to the back of the bench then you won't have to remove anything to open the door.   Rudy

thorhammer

My suggestion: six foot (H) by four ft (w) upright frame made of 2x4's with half sheet of pegboard screwed on it; mounted on casters so you can roll it where you want it, either out of way or behind bench, without removing tools.

five 2x4 studs (you will need one centerpiece strake to support pegboard)= $15
pegboard half sheet+$10 
four casters= $20

so for less than $50 you have a modular, mobile unit that will hold quite a bit of tools and supliies, freeing up your counter space

John

thorhammer

Easily make your Honey-Can-Do Urban Shelving Units portable with the Honey-Can-Do Urban 4 in. Wheels (4-Pack). Strong and sturdy, these large 4 in. solid wheels boast a maximum load capacity of 350 lbs. and 2 of the wheels lock to keep your shelving securely in place. Made of rubber for smooth and easy rolling, these swivel wheels are a simple and affordable solution to adding functionality to your shelving.

•350 lb. weight capacity
•Installs easily on shelving
•Smooth rolling, heavy-duty rubber wheels with swivel design; 2 wheels have locking functionality
•Universal design suitable for Honey-Can-Do Urban Shelving
•Limited lifetime warranty

four pack is $18.99, two are locking. This is all you at Home Depot.