Penn Int 80 STW Drag

Started by anykine77, February 02, 2011, 05:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anykine77

Howzit,

Serviced a penn int 80 stw and when checking the drag at strike it gets about 25 pounds and then slips.  The drag did not look totally worn when it was apart, just a little shiny.  Should I change the drive plate or is possible I am missing something else to cause the problem?  ??? We did 2 reels at the same time and the other is fine.

Thanks

Ron

alantani

ron, i would normally clean out the carbon fiber drag washer with an old rag, then slap on a thick coat of grease, then rub off all of the excess grease.  under all that pressure, it really should not slip.  what's the procedure for you?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

kamuwela

ron roys sells shimano drag grease. load it on and buff it off with a old rag. as you wipe it off you will see the rag turn black. if the drag is smooth after wiping off grease you will notice more of a cross hatch

anykine77

Alan, Kamu,

Thanks for your help.  I have shimano tiagras and grease all my drags.  I am helping my retired neighbor and he is kind of old school.  I'll see if I can convince him to try the grease and see how it goes.

Thanks again.

Ron

kamuwela

ron i had the same issue when i started repairing reel's. most of my customer's have no problem with drag grease anymore. alan and i spoke about this subject a few years ago, after all that time every body expect's grease now lol                                                   good luck
                                                         kamu

Bryan Young

Aloha Ron,

Best way is to show him the difference.  Mount the reel to the rod.  Load up the drag and tie it to a track star and let him run and let your friend watch how the line come off the reel (probably easier seen at the rod tip).  Then, using the same rod, repeat.  This will allow him to see the difference.

Another method is to just do it.  Let him be amazed the next time he uses it, then tell him.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D