Solving the problem with the dragcam complaint.

Started by gstours, January 09, 2016, 03:53:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Firstly I want to thank all that contributed to my questions raise in the earlier posts of crag cams and ramps.
  Without the info and suggestions and pictures I may not have found the solution.  The reel now works great. I have learned a lot to share but have a better fundamental understanding of how the reels work internally.
  I decided to put a notch in the cam slightly larger than the side pins if the follower(i call it).  This was to let the cam close more when in freespool position.

this now looks like it may was my thoughts.  below is the paired parts now after more fitting.

It now was hitting on the high part of the cams and not allowing the low side down nor letting the pins far enough into the new notch to close the space on the low end of the cam.  So material was carefully removed (finally about 12-14 thousandths of inch) from the max part of the cam. This was tedious but after many trys of assembly, test, disassemble the file, retest, etc. I could see progress,

The cam is now finished,  checking both sides and polishing w 200 wet dry sandpaper, it was reassembled and tested.
I was happy to lose the free movement of the drag lever as the reel works much like my 12 and 16 tiagras.  After testing max drag I decided to add another belleville washer  as I lost about .015'' from the total height of the cam in order to close the gap in letting them close down onto the pins.  Currently the bellevilles are (())) and I have approx 28# max drag with fair freespool.
   I am happy to say that this was successful and I hope this might help others in some way.    Fisk Hon!

Now I am happy

Tightlines667

Gary,
Good job!  

Looks like you actually have a more linear cam ramp up, with a more agressive Belleville configuration  (from stock).  You mention max drag.  Is that max drag at strike without loss of freespool?  I would think your modifications would give you a more distinct engagement in and out of freespool, a more gradual/ linear drag ramp up on the low-end  (i.e. up to strike setting), and an agressive ramp up at the end.  These are ideal characteristics for most uses.  However, the concern of course is if the max drag at full is a bit too agressive when set at max drag w/o loss of freespool at strike (i.e. where it might damage components if fished at full).  It would be interesting to plot your change in drag per click, setting at strike and max now vs. Before your mods.

I'm sure you've seen the figures from the manual for stock numbers...
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

gstours

I wanted to say that in my posts I always refer to ''max'' drag as with the drag lever at max forward position and this is with the preset at strike set at 20% of line spooled on the reel.   This ALSO means that the reel will have acceptable freespool (free to turn a few times in still air) when in the freespool position.   Maybe I got it all wrong?  Thats how I do it.
   This is consistant in how I set them up, to fish and test.   I hope I answered the questions.
Yes the drag curve changed some, but I like it now and cant wait to fish it.  the top end of the drag range is more aggressive as it goes up the ramp.  But thats ok.....thats where you want it for my style,  the lower end is quite moderate  and a smooth transition is felt up the scale.
  I did remove some of the height of the top of the ramp but remember I lowered the low end as well to close the lowend in order to get rid of the freeplay.    I have a hard time explaining the work sometimes,  and would like to do more work on this subject when possible.
  Thanks for the drag curve graph also.   Its great to see curves and numbers to compare reels,line weights, etc for my own comparison.
     I generally use braid line and usually 50-80# and need the yop end drag at times but I prever not so steep drags but how do you get there with a short runway ramp.  It seems like a compromise and then pretend your happy when your not.   That bugs me!     gst.

Dominick

At what point is one a genius???  Good job Gary.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.