wrench to remove nut from handle

Started by bperry, January 12, 2016, 11:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bperry

what size wrench do I need to remove the nut that holds the handle on a red Senator 6/0

Ron Jones

You need an Alan Tani wrench. Not sure what the size is, but his is very nice.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

foakes

Welcome, bperry --

Got to use the larger of the sizes on the Penn wrench.

This will fit the 23-116 or 114 exactly.

If a pair of pliers or some other type of wrench are used -- the best you can hope for is scratched chrome.

Alan has one of these that are really nice, that he sells.

Or, I could send one of the Penns that come with the reels -- out to you at N/C.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

bperry

I have the Penn 168-114 but it is too small.  What is the correct wrench part number...Thanks

swill88

Quote from: foakes on January 13, 2016, 12:21:33 AM
Welcome, bperry --

Got to use the larger of the sizes on the Penn wrench.

This will fit the 23-116 or 114 exactly.

If a pair of pliers or some other type of wrench are used -- the best you can hope for is scratched chrome.

Alan has one of these that are really nice, that he sells.

Or, I could send one of the Penns that come with the reels -- out to you at N/C.

Best,

Fred

Fred... is there a proper name for this 'Penn' bolt head?

Steve

foakes

Steve --

These are called handle screws by Penn.  

Others call them handle nuts.

There is no official nut manufacturer descriptor name, that I know of.

Unique to reels, I believe.

Key Part #23 -- just two sizes, plus the old fashioned hex heads.

Bperry -- I do not know of a part number -- although it likely has one.

Never needed a # -- since there are only (2) sizes -- large and small -- and I have about 300 wrenches just lying in a bin.  Just use one about 100% of the time for the last 20 years.

If you go to a local sporting goods, or tackle shop, they will have one for probably a buck -- or free.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Accept no substitute b.
The original alantani wrench is the bomb. ;)
Mystic Reel Parts sells them.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Custom/168-TANI.aspx

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Life is Good!

thorhammer

sdlehr

Quote from: Shark Hunter on January 14, 2016, 05:08:05 AM
Accept no substitute b.
The original alantani wrench is the bomb. ;)
Scott's bait and tackle sells them.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Custom/168-TANI.aspx
I got one direct from the Boss. At first it's a little tight and you have to work to get it over the nut. By the 4th or 5th time its a perfect fit and far superior to the Penn model! I cherish my AT wrench!

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Shark Hunter

Sid,
I mean this with the best intentions, but if you had a problem getting this wrench over a handle nut.
Someone boogered it before you got to it.
I have taken hundreds of reels apart with mine and never had an issue.
If the fit doesn't feel right, I just flip it over.
I have busted loose some stubborn handle nuts on big senators and this thing is tough as they come.
I actually have two. ;)
Life is Good!

day0ne

I too have found that when it doesn't seem to want to fit, flipping it over seems to work.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

sdlehr

Quote from: Shark Hunter on January 14, 2016, 06:21:07 AM
if you had a problem getting this wrench over a handle nut.
I am in no position to argue. It worked on all applications, just seemed to be easier after the 4th or 5th time. Considering the hardness of the materials (it's SS, right?), I wouldn't doubt that the problem is with the nut and not the wrench. I report, you decide.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Shark Hunter

No arguing buddy,
I like you and this wrench is needed if you want to get serious.
Just adding my input. We are all equal here.
Yes, the one and only alantani wrench is made of stainless.
I have had nuts so stubborn on Big neglected Senators, I had to put enough leverage on it to need a leather glove. ::)
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

I think I broke one of those once.  Heat and 50:50 ATF:Acetone usually do the trick on the most stubborn ones.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Bryan Young

Quote from: sdlehr on January 14, 2016, 06:26:08 AM
Quote from: Shark Hunter on January 14, 2016, 06:21:07 AM
if you had a problem getting this wrench over a handle nut.
I am in no position to argue. It worked on all applications, just seemed to be easier after the 4th or 5th time. Considering the hardness of the materials (it's SS, right?), I wouldn't doubt that the problem is with the nut and not the wrench. I report, you decide.

Sid
Hi Sid,

I'm sorry to hear of your problems.  Sometimes if you flip the wrench, it would fit better.  Due to machining, one side is microns larger than the other so that the stainless steel piece falls out during the cutting process.

And, depending on the batch that you got, one is spot on and the other is slightly larger.  I initially made them spot-on for a perfect fit.  Alan told me that if some nuts are corroded or someone took some pipe wrench or pliers to it, the wrench would not fit on a deformed nut.  I enlarged is slightly for this purpose.  The second cutting wrenches also fits Daiwa's Sealine Series nuts too (600H, 900H).

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D