wrench to remove nut from handle

Started by bperry, January 12, 2016, 11:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Quote from: Bryan Young on January 14, 2016, 04:04:35 PM
Hi Sid,

I'm sorry to hear of your problems.  Sometimes if you flip the wrench, it would fit better.  Due to machining, one side is microns larger than the other so that the stainless steel piece falls out during the cutting process.

And, depending on the batch that you got, one is spot on and the other is slightly larger.  I initially made them spot-on for a perfect fit.  Alan told me that if some nuts are corroded or someone took some pipe wrench or pliers to it, the wrench would not fit on a deformed nut.  I enlarged is slightly for this purpose.  The second cutting wrenches also fits Daiwa's Sealine Series nuts too (600H, 900H).

Bryan
Bryan, it's not a problem. It's smooth as silk now. Maybe the first few nuts I tried it on were a little damaged. I don't remember, and it no longer matters.

Sid
SE FL
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

steelfish

Quote from: Bryan Young on January 14, 2016, 04:04:35 PM
Quote from: sdlehr on January 14, 2016, 06:26:08 AM
Quote from: Shark Hunter on January 14, 2016, 06:21:07 AM
if you had a problem getting this wrench over a handle nut.
Someone boogered it before you got to it.
I am in no position to argue. It worked on all applications, just seemed to be easier after the 4th or 5th time. Considering the hardness of the materials (it's SS, right?), I wouldn't doubt that the problem is with the nut and not the wrench. I report, you decide.

Sid
Hi Sid,

I'm sorry to hear of your problems.  Sometimes if you flip the wrench, it would fit better.  Due to machining, one side is microns larger than the other so that the stainless steel piece falls out during the cutting process.

And, depending on the batch that you got, one is spot on and the other is slightly larger.  I initially made them spot-on for a perfect fit.  Alan told me that if some nuts are corroided or someone took some pipe wrench or pliers to it, the wrench would not fit on a deformed nut.  I enlarged is slightly for this purpose.  The second cutting wrenches also fits Daiwa's Sealine Series nuts too (600H, 900H).

Bryan

hmmm then I think I have one of the 1st batch cuz Im like Sid, I nedd to test the fit of the wrench at least 3 times until get the perfect fit, it really dont bother me at all, I always blamed that those Penn screw heads were damaged by using regular pliers on them, which is truth

what really put me on bad mood its when I dont finding the AT wrench and have to use those skinny "free" Penn wrenches on stubborn screws

The Baja Guy

Bryan Young

If you got one of these wrenches

You are one of the lucky few.

I went back to ask the cutter if he could do the acid etching again, and he said sure, but he under quoted it last time...it took him way longer than he expected and charged me $0.50 each wrench last time...this time he wanted to charge $8 per wrench just for the etching...well, that was way too much and declined.  I asked Alan for one before they were all gone.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

steelfish

The Baja Guy

sdlehr

Quote from: sdlehr on January 14, 2016, 06:26:08 AM
I am in no position to argue.

I am now, but first, Daron I like you, too, but we can argue about something and still like each other. Just ask my wife  ;D. I went to tackle a nut a little while ago and had trouble with the AT wrench... same problem, not enough clearance. At first I thought the dirt on the nut was the problem, but I cleaned it to no avail. I could force the wrench over the nut, and I took a few pics to show how tight it is and how the clearance is non-existent. You can see for yourself.

It works, it just has to be forced onto the nut.... more force than I've had to use on any wrench before - maybe I'm just not used to this kind of quality and close tolerance, but Bryan, I'm not complaining, I love my AT wrench. Maybe cherish is a better word. I'm just stating a fact, and don't consider it a problem. But on the next batch another micron or two clearance wouldn't hurt ;D

Sid
Sid Lehr

sdlehr

Quote from: Shark Hunter on January 15, 2016, 06:32:41 AM
I know what the problem is Sid.
Once you get past 100 reel builds, It will fit like a glove. ;)
I only have about 80 to go.... I'll report back.
Sid Lehr

Shark Hunter

Sid,
I just sent the Bosu a message about those handles.
If a lazer etched one is not available, I will send you one I have that doesn't have those tabs on it.
Neither one of mine look like that.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Those are the best wrench available, they are machined to perfection. They are tapered, one side is looser and should always be facing down, mine are marked so I'll always set them correctly.
Some handle nuts on older Penn's are not the same, they appear to be, but are not the same.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

sdlehr

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 15, 2016, 10:51:35 AM
Some handle nuts on older Penn's are not the same, they appear to be, but are not the same.

Sal
I thought as much... that would explain everything I'm seeing. Daron, thanks for taking care of me, but I can make this one work and really don't need two...

Sid
Sid Lehr

day0ne

You always need two of everything. What if you lose one or it is out of reach. BTW, I usually buy rods and reels in at least pairs. One for each side of the boat
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Shark Hunter

I think the same way. You had your chance Sid. ;)
Life is Good!

sdlehr

Sid Lehr