Mono to Fluro-Best Knot?

Started by Bill Karr, January 13, 2016, 04:37:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Karr

I've been through this section and have seen some mention but may be missing most of the discussion. I would appreciate your input for a specific line class. Here's the situation-You're fishing with 30, 40, or 50 mono (whether a top shot or straight mono). The guys with fluro. are getting bit-you're not. What knot would you use to attach a short piece of fluro. to your mono?
Bill

Aiala

I would choose a blood knot... with an optional spot of crazy glue for added security.  :)

http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/blood-knot

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

johndtuttle

Uni to Uni would be my choice.

Remember, it is rarely a case of what mono to fluoro knot tests best, but a case of which one you tie the best.  ;)

Newell Nut

Modified Albright or back to back unit. Both work well and the Albright is actually stronger in test.

sdlehr

Alberto knot might also perform well in this situation, but I'm used to tying blood knots as Aiala suggested, because I can tie them well, as John suggested.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

AlasKen

I have started using Uni to Uni for this and other wind on applications.  I have started using a Uni knot on most applications because I can tie it consistently.  As stated the ability to tie consistently is a big selling point, for any knot.

Tightlines667

I have been using the Tony Pena knot.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tiddlerbasher

Why not use a hollow braid splice?

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on January 13, 2016, 09:31:59 PM
Why not use a hollow braid splice?

For lighter topshots say up to 60 lb for me I see no need for the more costly hollow spectra. Are the connections cleaner? You bet but then again for the fishing I do I don't see much need for going to hollow until I reach 80 lb toppers, well on some 60 lb toppers I do use hollow spectra but I don't think it has given me much of an advantage.

I have been using this knot for 2 seasons now and it works fine for me on the lighter stuff.

Aiala

Quote from: SoCalAngler on January 14, 2016, 02:43:48 AM
I have been using this knot for 2 seasons now and it works fine for me on the lighter stuff.

I used the John Collins to join 65-lb braid to 50-lb mono on my Guadalupe trip... it held fast under extreme tuna stress. Great knot!  :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

SoCalAngler

Quote from: bkarr on January 13, 2016, 04:37:57 PM
I've been through this section and have seen some mention but may be missing most of the discussion. I would appreciate your input for a specific line class. Here's the situation-You're fishing with 30, 40, or 50 mono (whether a top shot or straight mono). The guys with fluro. are getting bit-you're not. What knot would you use to attach a short piece of fluro. to your mono?

Sorry mono to fluoro I use the Seaguar knot for lines up to 50 or 60 lb test on shorter toppers.

Tiddlerbasher

SoCal I was referring to the use of a couple of feet of hc. Solid braid/mono spliced into hc and then fluoro spliced into the other end of the hc. I then apply Instaflex ca to both the joints - just make sure everything is under tension when applying the glue. 40lb Hollow Ace allows me to splice lines as thin as 15/20lb mono/fluoro. I started using this system on fly lines - backing to fly line - then line to leader. No more knots catching in the tiptop ;) I think the Istaflex ca is key here - it remains flexible, just a drop is all that is needed. It takes the place of a true serve and is much easier :)

oc1

With mono joined to fluorocarbon it is not the knot that catches on the guides, but the tag ends.  Tag ends that have been mushroomed with a lighter catch worse tan clean-cut tag ends.  So, knots that can be trimmed close with no tag end seem to pass the guides more smoothly.  An Albright, John Collins, blood knot and clinch knot should not be trimmed close because if the knot slips just a tiny bit the whole thing will unwind.  Uni and surgeons knot are more forgiving and can be timed closer.  You can tie an Albright or John Collins then make three or four half hitches with the tag end before trimming it close.  It is like the half hitches on a chain knot or the finishing hitches on an FG knot.  If it slips a tad after trimming close there is no real harm done.

It's different when joining braid to mono or fluorocarbon.  The tag end of braid is soft and goes through the guides easily.  I like the FG knot for joining braid to mono or fluorocarbon because it can be trimmed very close and makes a very slim knot that passes the guides well.

-steve

MarkT

Most of the knots above are best for connecting fluoro to spectra.  To tie on a few feet of fluoro to my mono I use a double surgeons knot. Smaller in profile than the Seaguar knot but at least as strong.  Sometimes, especially with tuna, some fluoro can be the hot ticket!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Keta

I use a Segur or doble uni for conecting a short section of flurocarbon to mono.   More often I use short fluro topshots and no mono.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain