Main Menu

Fish Cakes

Started by hrogers, January 14, 2016, 04:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hrogers

Fish cakes - Can use any fish - I used (Taylor - Blue Fish or Shad - Different names for this fish)

What's for dinner tonight ?   :shad:
Fishcakes from shad !
Shad deboned and aleady cooked - Potato - Parsley - Union - (Mint leaves) 2 eggs - medium curry powder - Celery
Olive oil = 1  spoon
Potato boiled - union & Parsley with mint leaves crushed - mixed all together.
make fish balls and dipped into flower - Fry fish cakes to light/golden brown

Photo of the fish ....

Reel 224

Sounds good. But blue fish :P Nah.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

steelfish

oops, this is what I was expecting to see when I read fish cake

The Baja Guy

cbar45

Fishcake is very poplar in Hawaii...We like to use either Oio (bonefish), or Awa Aua (Hawaian Ladyfish)...I prefer using Oio; Awa Aua is harder to come by...Here is a typical oio fishcake recipe, (Chinese style which produces a softer cake):

3 cups raw oio meat 
1 cup cornstarch 
4 tablespoons sugar 
3 eggs 
2 cups water 
1 carrot, julienne 
4 stalks green onions, chopped 
4 teaspoons salt 

1. Filet/butterfly fish, then use a spoon to scrape all the meat from the bones..(It helps to leave the fish in the refrigerator  overnight---toughens the meat just a bit making it easier to seperate from the bones)..

2. Knead/sift the oio meat thoroughly with your fingers, making sure no bones remain...Next combine the meat and above   ingredients in a bowl and stir until well-mixed..

3. On medium heat, pan fry spoonfuls of fish-cake mixture about 3-4 minutes on each side until lightly browned..
This recipe makes about 25 fish cakes..(You can also form the meat into balls and use in soup)..

Thanks for sharing your recipe, it sounds tasty, I will have to give it a try...:)

Chad

ChileRelleno

Man y'all, them fishcakes look really good.
Gonna have to make some when the Sheepshead start biting in earnest.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

humboldtdan

My Dad used to make fish cakes out of suckers.  DIdn't bother deboning just put fillets in food processor.  Never noticed after they were cooked.  Too many bones otherwise.  Very tasty fish.