When your reel lets you down.

Started by gstours, January 15, 2016, 04:41:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Howdy,  Attatched is a link below to view a video of a halibut fishing day I had last summer.  I thought it might be more interesting for the people that work on reels,  not the best video but you,ll see my frustration when the reel I was using seperated at the right side from the frame.  the gears jammed, then by squeezing it togather it would crank a little, then jam.   Without a helper, and a tame fish, I would not had much chance of landing it.  so its about 5 min.    Enjoy, and comments are always welcome.    The reel was an Okuma Titus Gold 20II.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Dominick

Gary what did you do with the reel?  Now you know why there are so many Penn fans.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Ron Jones

So, imagine a big BOOM and the plate flying off in pieces, that's why I call Jigmasters exploding reels. Way to go on getting that fish.

Ron
From the sunset side of Oahu
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

HOLEINTHEWATER

sdlehr

Quote from: noyb72 on January 15, 2016, 07:41:40 AM
So, imagine a big BOOM and the plate flying off in pieces, that's why I call Jigmasters exploding reels. Way to go on getting that fish.

Ron
From the sunset side of Oahu
Ron, I assume you mean at the quick-access part of the frame.... has this actually happened to you (or anyone) while fishing? That wouldn't be much fun. Good reason to make sure the little thumb screw is tightened all the way down, though.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

MarkT

There's a reason the Makaira's and Andros reels were game changers for Okuma.  Things like that with the older series of reels are how they earned their old reputation.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

nelz

Isn't there risk of an Orca or shark grabbing that fish left hanging over the side?

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Quote from: handi2 on January 15, 2016, 03:44:39 PM
I would have thrown it over..!!
Yeah, me too and be done with that reel, just like this guy:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9570.msg87518#msg87518

Gary, you and your buddy did a good job not loosing that fish, way to go!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Fisherman Paul

Gary i tried to find the smaller one in this reel but
couldn't find it but these reels have caught skate
to over 150lb (i know i did, boat ;D), the smaller brother
of this boy will defo keep working, but as Sal says
some reels are good up to a point.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PENN-114HL-SENATOR-II-HIGH-SPEED-TROLLING-MULTIPLIER-REEL-SIZE-6-0-VINTAGE-/321918233837?hash=item4af3d26ced:g:UsIAAOSweuxWQzFk

gstours

Thanks for the comments, advice and viewing my video!  Not only was this a fun day on the water, you get to share in it as well.
   I am a fisherman that has a lot of reels, sometimes I just take one out to see what I like about it........and I,m also not afraid of taking my chances.   Most reels that we fish nowadays are light years ahead of what our fathers and grandfathers had and used.
  Alan Tani told me about the side plate screws on these Okuma 2 speeders being too small, and the fine threads can fail on the frame/sideplate connection.  I thought everything was ok,  so heres the rest.......
   Yes it failed and I found the weak spot in this reel.  But I bought it when I was raising my family as money was tight then, (remember 39 cent gas?) I now have a halve dozen hotrodded senators,  half a dozen tiagras, several avets, a makaira as well as several china made reels.  The reel in the video has more than paid for itself and  was repaired by tapping the stripped sideplate screwholes and using the next size larger SAE sst screws.  I kept it as I wanted to see what went......  thats how you learn......Now its sitting on a shelf with other reels  just begging to go one more time............
  SeaLions are our biggest threat to having a fish over the side while bleeding.  There a menace, very large, usually conditioned to people as well and quite bold, and wear the lovely lifevest of federal protection.
   Im glad to share these things with the forum, as I learn more about video and editing you may see more quirky stuff from my private reserves.   I hope to have even keener hindsight someday.     

whalebreath

Quote from: gstours on January 17, 2016, 01:32:03 AM....SeaLions are our biggest threat to having a fish over the side while bleeding.  There a menace, very large, usually conditioned to people as well and quite bold, and wear the lovely lifevest of federal protection...

Same here-we never even saw the one who apparently tried to steal this fish that was bleeding out

alantani

not sure which would work, but i'll bet a 4-40 or 5-40 thread would hold pretty well!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!