In-Search of Upgrade Parts for Penn 12/0

Started by wsenti, March 17, 2016, 04:00:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wsenti

Hi,

I am looking to further upgrade my current or another Penn 12/0.

I currently have the following:

- Stainless steel posts
- Tiburon arm/handle
- Insert drag kit from Motive Fabrication (in order, not installed)

I am looking for some stainless steel dogs, a stainless steel gear sleeve (I heard Elec-Tra-Mate was best source), and potentially a stainless steel (set or main gear).

Additional thoughts?

Army_of_One

Cortez Customs( http://alantani.com/index.php?board=73.0 ) here on the board has the SS sleeves for 12/0, and Keta( http://alantani.com/index.php?board=63.0 ) will be your best source for SS dogs.  Have you checked to see if the main gear is steel?  I would use the stock steel one over buying a SS set.
Another day in Paradise!

Shark Hunter

Penn is making stainless main and pinions for the 14/0 and 16/0.
There is no stainless option on the 12/0 for the main gear.
Tom from Cortez Conversions ss sleeves are half the price and double the quality of an Electramate sleeve. 416 ss.
Lee Putman has the ss dogs. (Keta) he also has his own spot.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Quote from: wsenti on March 17, 2016, 04:00:05 PM
Hi,

I am looking to further upgrade my current or another Penn 12/0.

I currently have the following:

- Stainless steel posts
- Tiburon arm/handle
- Insert drag kit from Motive Fabrication (in order, not installed)

I am looking for some stainless steel dogs, a stainless steel gear sleeve (I heard Elec-Tra-Mate was best source), and potentially a stainless steel (set or main gear).

Additional thoughts?

If you're on a tight budget, do as the guys have mentioned but forget about upgrading the gears. Your steel or brass gear will do just fine on these larger Senators.
I have yet to see one of the gear from the 10/0 and up fail.
Everything else mentioned would be a good upgrade.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Army_of_One

As far as the SS posts go, what's the general consensus on strength vs. the chromed brass?  I haven't redone my 10/0 and have been on the fence about them.
Another day in Paradise!

handi2

Hello Robin,

I believe the SS posts are more for a no corrosion reel.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Three se7ens

Im with Keith on the posts.  Going to stainless isnt going to make a stronger reel,  its just going to be easier to keep pretty.  If the posts need replacement, then go for it.  Otherwise, youre not really gaining much. 

Shark Hunter

The ss posts are cheaper to upgrade than buying originals.
The last 12/0 set I purchased were $30 shipped.
Life is Good!

Army_of_One

Thank you guys!  I feel like Keith has told me this before, and that's what planted the seed of doubt about them.  Mine are good, so I'll just wait for a 10/Tom frame then.  ;D
Another day in Paradise!

anglingarchitect

I have been Looking on Ebay for a 12/0 but the last one I watched went for $250.00 plus, seemed like a lot, not sure?

Army_of_One

I got my 10/0 Christmas of 2014 for $100.  They aren't that cheap anymore, but at the time the seller checked "an auction site" and realized that he would have made less than $100 after fees and shipping.  Even pawn shops near me want $300 for used 10/0 combos. 
Another day in Paradise!

Shark Hunter

Quote from: anglingarchitect on March 18, 2016, 02:02:48 PM
I have been Looking on Ebay for a 12/0 but the last one I watched went for $250.00 plus, seemed like a lot, not sure?
If its in good condition with all the pieces, rod brace, clamp, no cracked rings or broken screws, minimal corrosion, spool in good shape, that is a fair price.
Considering they go new for $400. I think the older models with the chromed brass spool and steel gears are just better quality.
Like Robin said, Sometimes you can stumble on a bargain. I once got a 10/0 for $60 in great shape off the big auction site. ;D
Life is Good!