Bearing question

Started by Black Widow Tackle, February 03, 2011, 02:08:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Widow Tackle

on spinning reels the shielded bearings that are on the side plate should I leave the shield off and the bearings to remain open?  Thanks

Bryan Young

For spinners, I would recommend packing the bearings with grease with shields on.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Black Widow Tackle

Is the bearing packing kit still available?

Bryan Young

Yes, the bearing packers http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=870.0 are still available.  We just got a few kits put together yesterday afternoon.  Send Alan a PM with your contact info and will give you a price including shipping based upon your location.

They work great, esp. for spinner with tiny bearings with shields.  You just cannot remove those shield on a bearing that is 5 or 7 mm in diam.  I've got bloody fingers to prove it.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Black Widow Tackle

is this the new packaging of the marine grease?

kamuwela

Viennacop

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 03, 2011, 02:12:35 PM
For spinners, I would recommend packing the bearings with grease with shields on.

Hi Brian!

I just received my bearing packer kit two days ago - great stuff !!!!!! I serviced already some bigger bearings - the tool works great!

Brian, you recommend packing very small bearings with shields on? I always thought it´s necessary to remove all the old grease and oil before lubing/greasing it with new stuff. I understand that it could be a problem to open this tiny bearings in spinning reels but is it good to mix oils/greases of different kinds?

regards,
Willi

Bryan Young

With the bearing packer, the old grease would be squeezed out when pressing the new greases in.  To make sure, I rotate the bearing while I pump the grease into the bearing and give it an extra pump or two based on the size of the bearing.

alantani

i wouldn't worry about mixing greases.  it's more important to fill the voids in the bearing to prevent water intrusion. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!