Penn Battle 5000 Bearing Question

Started by Marlinmate, January 20, 2016, 02:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marlinmate

Cracked open a Battle 5000 tonight to do a clean/lube/oil on it for a guy.   

Question....All The bearings inside the reel are the kind that have a rubber ring on top of the bearing seal...how do yawl service these?   Take the bearing seal off(including rubber) and leave it open?

I wish all bearings had the tiny little "c' clip that snaps into place to allow the seal removal.  So much easier.

Looking to see what the "pros" on here do.

FISHING IS THE SPORT OF DROWNING WORMS

twotone

These are Battle 8000 bearings.

The Battle is tough reel for the money.

Leave one side open and place the closed side facing out.
I grease this bearing.  IMO
twotone

johndtuttle

Quote from: Marlinmate on January 20, 2016, 02:55:32 AM
Cracked open a Battle 5000 tonight to do a clean/lube/oil on it for a guy.   

Question....All The bearings inside the reel are the kind that have a rubber ring on top of the bearing seal...how do yawl service these?   Take the bearing seal off(including rubber) and leave it open?

I wish all bearings had the tiny little "c' clip that snaps into place to allow the seal removal.  So much easier.

Looking to see what the "pros" on here do.

The rubber seals are much easier to remove. Just use a pick or tip of a sharp knife and it pops right up. For max protection replace them both, but leave the seal you didn't molest on the outside towards the saltwater.

Basically a poor man's "mag seal" but better as it is serviceable when contaminated and provides a barrier for saltwater to prevent it getting deeper in the reel.