Pan Fried/Oven Finished Squirrel

Started by ChileRelleno, January 20, 2016, 08:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

conchydong

I like both squirrel and rabbit. When I was young we often ate raccoon also, so what do I know.

anglingarchitect

My moms mom killed squirrel and cooked it for me as a kid, I thought it was good, had them a few times since. More meat than quail or dove, but its true on the plate, they look like rats. Other cultures eat rats I could be that hungry, never had coon though you got me there.

ChileRelleno

Geez...   ::)

Quarter it and it looks like tasty pieces of meat.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

TomT

There was a similar discussion here a couple of years ago.  The few times I've eaten squirrel was in deer camp in No Cal--where we have grey squirrels.  Usually my brother-in-law would kill a few and then clean them and put them on ice.  Later for supper I would cut them up to resemble pieces of chicken.  I would then dredge them in flour and fry them like chicken.  After frying them I would then make up a gravy and we would have mashed potatoes, gravy and fried chicken(oops-fried rabbit).  Everybody always loved it and never complained.  But then deer camp menus are what was cooked that night--there are NO choices.  It probably helped that most of the hunters were imbibing their favorite libations while I was cooking.  Actually both fried squirrel and rabbit are pretty tasty under the above conditions. ;) ;D  It's amazing to me that some of those opposed to eating  ;Dthese foods think nothing of eating raw fish or fish parts?? ::)
TomT

ChileRelleno

Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Big Tim

Not sure about squirrel, but I would try anything once. I once gathered up some snails and fattened them up with cornmeal then cleaned them out with lettuce boiled them suckers up  for a few then chopped em up and sauted them with garlic and butter, then stuffed them back in the shells for serving. The kicker was I did this in my Biology class  ;D Got an A on the project, but grossed a few classmates out.

BT

ChileRelleno

I like Escargot, I've had it several times.
The only thing I've had a hard time eating has been live insects and Baluts.
Ragnar Benson:

sdlehr

I used to shoot the squirrels that stole the apples off my tree in Columbus, OH. When I wasn't putting cyanide in peanut butter. Both were effective. I never considered eating them. Still won't. I don't eat rabbit any more either.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

newport

Never tried it myself, but not adverse to trying squirrel at all. Like most of your recipes, it looks really good. I'll try anything, but the beans..I hate beans. No offense.

interesting thing is that I love mussels and clams, but escargo creeps me out. That's probably weird.

Shark Hunter

I could shoot up a whole mess of squirrels John and I could definitely eat them. Its the cleaning part.
I don't know how.
I have a healthy Hawk population and they usually take care of them and the rabbits, but I think they are getting out of hand. I haven't seen any rabbits for a while, but I bet I could shoot 20 squirrels on any given day.
I'm sure Dustin would like it.
I will have a talk with my hillbilly neighbor. That is actually what I call him.
He calls me redneck. :D
I have eaten rabbit and liked it.
I draw the line at Escargot.
Funny, nobody mentioned frog legs. Now that is some good eating. ;D
Many a time when I was young, we would go out gigging all night and have frog legs and eggs come morning. ;)
For those of you that won't eat a squirrel, Fresh frog legs are still moving while you cook them. :o
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Those are not city squirrels, they're very tasty. Before I got married I used to hunt those, along with Pheasant- Mallards- Doves and Rabbits. I ate everything  I shot.
I've been married 30+ years :'(

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.