Pan Fried/Oven Finished Squirrel

Started by ChileRelleno, January 20, 2016, 08:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

Yesterday I was watching our usual plethora of bird feeder thieves, and decided to off one for general purposes.  
Put a .22 pellet through her shoulders and she scampered 10' before falling to the ground.
I let her sit out there for awhile and her friends definitely took note, but alas, they'll be back.

Not ones to let anything we kill go to waste, little Ms. Nutkin was skinned, gutted and butchered.  
My son laid claim for his lunch and today I cooked it up for him.

Pan Fried & Oven Finished Squirrel
1- however many squirrels for however many people.
Generally 3 squirrels per adult is a hearty serving.
Flour
Salt
Bacon Grease

Normally I would fry some onion with it and add some other spices, but my youngest boy is kind'a picky, so plain it was.

Cut up squirrel, dredge in flour, brown in skillet, wrap in foil, bake at 350' for 30-45 minutes.

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Dominick

Chile I am one of those guys that will eat most anything.  I once tried squirrel but I could not get by the look on the plate.  So good for you for eating your kill but I will pass on squirrel.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Dominick on January 20, 2016, 08:24:09 PM
Chile I am one of those guys that will eat most anything.  I once tried squirrel but I could not get by the look on the plate.  So good for you for eating your kill but I will pass on squirrel.  Dominick
Dominick,
just close your eyes and eat, if it was cooked right, you'd be happy you did.
I could cook it, take it off bone and serve it shredded over mashed potatos-n-gravy, you'd just think my chicken tasted a bit funny.
Same way with dumplings-n-gravy.
Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

anglingarchitect

:)Just don't eat the brain or spinal column, you can get mad squirrel disease.

No joke

ChileRelleno

Never heard of it.
I know lots of crazy rednecks to whom squirrel brains are a delicacy.  ;D
Oh man, maybe thats why they're crazy :o
Ragnar Benson:

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

thorhammer

Quote from: Shark Hunter on January 20, 2016, 09:30:45 PM
Squirrel head dumplings.
Seriously

"Pass" on heads. Though pork tongue off a pigcooker is nice after a Maker's or three while cooking.

sdlehr

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Dominick

Quote from: sdlehr on January 20, 2016, 09:46:29 PM
Quote from: Shark Hunter on January 20, 2016, 09:30:45 PM
Squirrel head dumplings.
Seriously
No way. Where is this, Appalachia?
Sounds like it.  Daron knows some serious redneck stuff.  ;D ;D Dominick 
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

I've never ate squirrel, but I have heard guys that hunt them would save the heads for people that would make squirrel head dumplings and gnaw the meat of their little skulls.
Yes, I am from Kentucky. ;D
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

I love me some squirrel.  Been quite a few years though since I'very cooked one up.  Incidentally, I remember making some pretty good jerky too.  I liked the corn-fattened Red Fox Squirrelso the best, followed by your typical Acorn fed Grey.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

humboldtdan

funny.  Used to eat a ton of Michigan squirrels.  Sold the tails to Mepps for their spinners and such.  Last night I cooked a fat rabbit the same way.  Browned in pan, couple cans of mushroom soup and into the oven at 350 for 2 hours.  Yukon gold potatoes mashed for the gravy.

ChileRelleno

Quote from: humboldtdan on January 20, 2016, 11:44:03 PM
funny.  Used to eat a ton of Michigan squirrels.  Sold the tails to Mepps for their spinners and such.  Last night I cooked a fat rabbit the same way.  Browned in pan, couple cans of mushroom soup and into the oven at 350 for 2 hours.  Yukon gold potatoes mashed for the gravy.
That sounds great  8)
Ragnar Benson:

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Shark Hunter on January 20, 2016, 11:08:25 PM

Yes, I am from Kentucky. ;D
Queue up the 'Dueling Banjos'...  "He got a real pretty mouth, ain't he"
Ragnar Benson:

Shark Hunter

:D
That movie was actually filmed in Georgia on the Chattooga River. Also South Carolina.
That is still funny. ;)
I just don't shoot squirrels out of the birdfeeder and eat them. :o
Maybe I should start. My neighbors dog barks at them all Damn Day! ::)
Life is Good!