penn 50tw drag problems

Started by reelax, January 21, 2016, 02:02:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reelax

if the drag lever is at strike it only takes about a 1/4" of movement down on the lever or sometimes even a vibration will do it, for the rod to go into freespool.no matter how tight or loose the adjustment is on the drag what could be the problem? drag washer looks ok and the buealevelle /disc springs appear to be in good shape as well. any help would be greatly apreciated thanks!

TheReelShop

Did you service the reel? I can be incorrect here since I'm not seeing the reel, but maybe the drag lever is not engaged under the preset and it can feel as if its engaging because its in a tight spot. So ultimately your not really in strike.

Tightlines667

Could be a number of different things here.  First the obvious.. make sure the drag lever  is properly mounted to the cam, and the washer(s) are in place, and rides properly on the quadrant ring.  Next ensure all cam parts are installed properly and there is no excessive wear present  (i.e. the cam pins, marred/scored housing or slots, etc.., and that tells cam is installed properly..
Flippingamy it 180 degree will produce different results.  Test the cam and lever function with the right sideplate removed.  Then check your Belleville config, and overall stack height.

The other option is to replace the cam with a newer style with a more positive  transition out of freespool (has a recessed notch it it at the bottom ends.

Most likely you just need to flip your cam assembly around 180 degrees.

Hope that helps?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.