Penn Reel identification

Started by Alvaman, January 21, 2016, 03:12:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alvaman

Today at a flea market I came across a Penn spinning reel marked as Penn lever drag SSB350.(it is a bait runner type reel)
It is silver in color with red labels and black and white lettering. Foot shows made in Korea. It looks exactly like a Silstar baitfeeder except for the color..
I could not locate any info about it on the internet or find a schematic .
Is this a prototype or European model? Anybody ever see one or know anything about them?.

Alvaman

I HAD A CHANCE TO DO A LITTLE MORE RESEARCH TODAY ON THAT PENN REEL.  IT SEEMS EVEN PENN DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT IT AND IT IS NOT  
LISTED IN THEIR RECOIRDS. THEY FEEL IT WAS PROBABLY MADE FOR THE ASIAN MARKET AND DATES BACK TO THE LATE 1980'S EARLY 90'S.
THANKS FOR THE REPLY WITH PHOTO.  I ALSO CHECKED WITH SCOTTIES (MYSTICPARTS.COM)  TALKED WITH SCOTTY AND HE NEVER HEARD OF IT EITHER.  MUST BE RARE AND A GOOD FIND

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Porthos

Playing Devil's advocate here...if Penn USA doesn't have it on record, then is it still an authentic "PENN?"

If you picked it up for A LOT LESS than the $90 USD the eBay listing was asking, then it makes for a interesting item in a display case. Would be disinclined to fish it given the possibility of no one stocking replacement parts for it.

Penn Chronology

Probably, the best way to research this would be to go to the Penn Branch of Pure Fishing and ask about it.

Alvaman

I DID SPEAK TO PENN DIRECTLY AND THEY DO NOT LIST THE REEL IN THEIR ARCHIVES. THEIR REPRESENITIVE FOUND THE OLD LISTING ON EBAY FROM A SELLER IN SINGAPORE  AND SUGGESTED THE REEL IS NOT AMERICAN,BUT APPARENTLY WAS MANUFACTURED BY A CONTRACTOR ONLY FOR THE ASIAN MARKET.   I STILL THINK IT WAS MADE BY SILSTAR IN KOREA. I HAVEN'T OPENED IT UP YET TO CHECK THE INTERNALS. I CAN TELL IF IT IS SILSTAR WHEN I OPEN IT AS I HAVE REBUILT NUMEROUS SILSTAR BAIT FEEDER REELS AND STILL HAVE MANY PARTS FOR THEM.

handi2

Penn did make some other spinning reels marketed for Japan. I know they made some cool SS reels.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL