ss gear sleeve strength on 500

Started by basto, January 22, 2016, 12:54:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

Hi Guys
Anyone care to tell approx how much drag a stainless gear sleeve on a Jigmaster 500 can handle?
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

swill88

Quote from: basto on January 22, 2016, 12:54:28 AM
Hi Guys
Anyone care to tell approx how much drag a stainless gear sleeve on a Jigmaster 500 can handle?
Basto

that's a great question... i'm thinking the main gear would fail before the sleeve.

steve

basto

That`s a fair reply, given the lack of information I should have provided. So, let`s say we have a stainless main and pinion gear and an alloy frame.
I`m referring to the handle rounding off the top of the sleeve.

RowdyW

Put a SS handle arm on it & keep it tight & it will handle all the drag that you can give it. A jigmaster won't give monster drag numbers like a 113H. But with SS sleeve,gears,& alum. frame it should handle any drag setup on the market today. If you want more get a set of alum. side plates           RUDY

day0ne

Quote from: basto on January 22, 2016, 04:32:13 AM
That`s a fair reply, given the lack of information I should have provided. So, let`s say we have a stainless main and pinion gear and an alloy frame.

I don't see how that is a function of the amount of drag.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

RowdyW

Quote from: day0ne on January 22, 2016, 05:58:37 AM
Quote from: basto on January 22, 2016, 04:32:13 AM

I don't see how that is a function of the amount of drag.
The heavier the drag the more chance of rounding of the flats on the sleeve.

Alto Mare

I have seen damaged gear sleeves at around 22lbs on some of my test. A loose handle, or longer handle would get it done quicker.
Those were not heat treated though, I believe the latest are...just what the doctor ordered.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

basto

Thanks guys for your replies. That number was what I was looking for Sal.
cheers
Basto

MarkT

...and then the spool arbor would bend.  If you keep ratcheting up the pressure you'll always find a weakest link.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

alantani

i ran the 3/0 senator against 15 pounds of drag on the winder and there was no damage.  wouldn't want to go past that, or even stay there for any length of time!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

We now have better drag options,  the jigmaster loaded with the goodies available to us should do just fine at 15lbs and a little more. Although it has the same gears, I'm not sure about the 3/0.
Bigger spool, weaker bridge and sleeve post :-\.
Most here like the 3/0, I was never crazy about that reel. The Jigmaster is a  more capable reel...when well equipped.
Just my opinion.

sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.