Accurate spool bearing question.

Started by Pelagic Playtime, February 03, 2011, 10:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pelagic Playtime

Hi all. Broke into my BX2-400 today. When I went to remove the "C" retaining ring that holds the bearing sidewalls in place........I couldn't find any. ???

Is Accurate using bearings with the sidewalls somehow pressed into the outer bearing races? ??? ???

If so, is there a way of removing them without bending or breaking something?

Pelagic Playtime.

Mr GreenJeans

You may need to go to the Accurate website and download their tutorial on servicing the reels.  Its a little out of date since the pictures apply to older models, but the basics still apply.  Anyway, once you remove the E clip and pull the spool away from the reel housing, your next step is to remove the plastic spool covers.  This requires unscrewing four screws on each side and will reveal the fiber drag washers, titanium washer, and spool rod assembly.  When you pull the spool rod out, you will see the spool bearings, one on each side of the spool.  The bearings should just pop right out.  At least they did for me.

Hope this helps.

alantani

you probably have a bearing with a shield that is pressed in.  i usually dig out the shields and throw them away.  the bearings then get cleaned, lubed and installed open. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Mr GreenJeans

After re-reading your question and seeing Alan's response, I see that I misread the original question.  Alan got it right.  There is no C-clip to remove the bearing shields.  You just have to dig the shields out, which of course, ruins the shield.  Have to throw them away and proceed with unshielded bearings.  If you want bearings with removable shields, order them from Boca Bearings.

Bryan Young

If you are using the reels for trolling, then you should pack them with grease.  The bearing packer is a great tool to use.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=870.0
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Pelagic Playtime

Thanks guys. You wouldn't happen to know the part number for the correct size bearing from Boca Bearings?

Pelagic Playtime.

Mr GreenJeans

Here is what I ordered:

ABEC 5 BX2 spool bearings
3/16" x ½" x .196" (5mm)
SR3-ZZ#5, $8.25 each; or
FR060, $15.95 for a kit of 2 bearings

The price includes shipping.  Not a bad deal.