Penn Fathom 15 star drag ?

Started by Big Tim, January 22, 2016, 02:57:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wendull

Im not sure why the rachet on the star,  so I figured it was a good way to keep the star from backing off, could be wrong but I thought that was its purpose??

johndtuttle

Quote from: wendull on April 13, 2016, 04:39:02 PM
Im not sure why the rachet on the star,  so I figured it was a good way to keep the star from backing off, could be wrong but I thought that was its purpose??

Yes, at light settings.

steelfish

Quote from: Fish-aholic on February 09, 2016, 01:26:31 PM
It's in regard to setting a baited trap, Sal.

Here in the UK we use 13'+ beachcasting rods - at times I use more than one rod - and these are anchored into a 6' aluminium tripod rod rest, not held. When targeting larger species, I engage the ratchet button on the LH side plate, fully unbutton the star wheel so the drag is at its least effect and readjust it accordingly to gain the correct amount of drag needed to a taught line. With a ratcheted star, I only need to count the amount of clicks it takes to achieve a correctly set bait trap so minor adjustments are easier to hear.

If it's not set correctly (too tight), the quarry could pull the tripod over and rods and reels could fall into the drink or on to rocks/sandy beaches from the venues I frequent. It's not just the quarry I have to worry about, sea debris is another concern, especially during huge spring tides. My 'baited trap' eliminates such scenarios.

I fish very strong tidal runs here (2nd highest tidal range in the world), so engaging the ratchet and putting the reel out of gear (freespool) will have the tidal-run pull unwanted excessive line. This is why I have to accommodate and set it with the use of the star wheel and a ratcheted star makes the setting process a whole lot faster (speed = more fish).

Hearing the reel pay out line and listening to the audio of a ticking/screaming ratchet is music to my ears. The sound of expensive equipment crashing to the ground causing untold damage, is not. It could easily be a session ender.  >:(

I also can't afford to keep my eyes locked on to my rod tips, I have other things to do, like spare traces needing setting up and baiting. This is called double patting. I either retrieve a fish or washed out bait, unclip trace from my rod and quickly clip on a freshly baited one and sling it out into the drink in minimal time. This increases the time a baited trace lays on the sea bed thus increasing the chances of catching more fish. At some venues, I will only have a maximum of a couple of hours fishing before I can get cut off by the tide, in such situations time really is of the essence and has to be made the most of.

Thought I'd give you the bigger picture, than a simple paragraph.  ;D

I love surf fishing but mostly fish from a boat because the fish we caugh from the beach a lot similar than yours, but once you go into a boat few miles from the shore it gets better, I had a friend that used to live in UK and he also love it surf fishing, he told me and showed me how it was to fish there, with the big long surf rods, tripod, small bait and normally small fishes too.

I also have a saltist 20h (grey model) abu garcia 6500c3 and a balzer rod 5mt and 4mt long both 1.5oz lure as well as a rainshadow 1385 (12.5ft  6oz) for surf fishing.

what rod do you normally use with your abu on the video?
The Baja Guy