712 Greenie Maintenance

Started by nelz, January 23, 2016, 07:53:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

I have a beautiful Penn 712 that is totally packed in old grease and needs a good cleaning. So how the heck do you remove the handle? Embarrassed to say, such a simple reel and I'm kinda stumped.  ::)

johndtuttle

Quote from: nelz on January 23, 2016, 07:53:24 AM
I have a beautiful Penn 712 that is totally packed in old grease and needs a good cleaning. So how the heck do you remove the handle? Embarrassed to say, such a simple reel and I'm kinda stumped.  ::)

The whole handle unscrews. The knob on the end is not removable without drilling it out.

cbar45

The handle is removed by turning it backwards (clockwise).

Here is the schematic:

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Penn712Z.aspx

foakes

John & Chad got it exactly right nelz --

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Aiala

LOVE the greenies! Be a bit cautious about any soaking of parts in cleaner, I found the green paint to be somewhat delicate.   :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Reel 224

Fred; I want my work area to look the same as yours NEAT! When I grow up :-[  ;D

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

swill88

Quote from: Reel 224 on January 23, 2016, 03:55:50 PM
Fred; I want my work area to look the same as yours NEAT! When I grow up :-[  ;D

Joe

It's easy Joe...

I'm that organized (in my dreams)!

Steve

Reel 224

Quote from: swill88 on January 23, 2016, 05:17:39 PM
Quote from: Reel 224 on January 23, 2016, 03:55:50 PM

Joe

It's easy Joe...

I'm that organized (in my dreams)!

Steve

Me too!  ;D ;D

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

nelz

Well son-of-a-gun, that's it! I had tried that before but it wasn't giving, so I thought I was going about it wrong. I didn't want to force it too much and break something. Just tried it again and success. Thanks y'all. Let's see if I can post a pic of the cleaned up reel later.  ;D