Reel Storage Cabinet.

Started by STRIPER LOU, January 23, 2016, 03:33:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRIPER LOU

Picked up this cabinet at Urban Miners a few weeks ago. Had to do a bit of fixin up and cleaning, added another shelf, and it had no inserts or shelf brackets. Also had to adapt it to and existing cabinet that was several inches shorter. Just made a base extension and only needs paint to finish it up.
Looking around the basement I found some insulation support wires. Cut them about 1/2" longer than needed and put them in place for the shelf supports. They went into the holes on each side of the cabinet and I used 3 in each hole. Plenty strong!
It also has sliding glass doors which I removed for the pic's.

I'm pretty happy with it and If I don't buy any more reels, I'm good to go!!!!!!! 
I mentioned Urban Miners before. Absolutely amazing place. They specialize in demo of old buildings, odd lot purchase, estates, just about anything unusual! This place has lumber dating back from who knows when? I've been there at times and there were several guys just removing nails from old wood. I have seen gigantic wood beams guessing from the 1800's. Doors, furniture, cabinets, hardware, etc etc. Whenever I go there I'm good for at least a couple of hours checking out goodies. A few weeks ago I met a gent with his son from WVA. They had a flat bed with them and were picking up some huge, old beams.

I was wondering at one point if they ever got and antique firearms or vintage fishing gear. Talking to the owner all I got was Nah! nothing like that. But the last time there I talked to a young guy who was quite receptive and asked him about those kind of goodies and his reply was yes!
Any chance of looking at it? He said the bosses buddies got that sewed up. Never makes it to the shop. Don't know if he was BS ing me or not, but with all the different things they have in there, I'm thinking they have to have it. I'm going to keep trying!
Old Penn reels keep going thru my mind.
Anyways, Have a Great Day ..  Lou

Reel 224

Lou; Nice job, but don't you think you need a bigger box, or a bigger boat :o ;D ;D

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

STRIPER LOU

Joe, I have another neat cabinet I picked up in Maine by the roadside. A freebie. There was 2 of them but the wife started to complain. If I had taken them both I could have put some shelving between the two and had more storage, but then I'd have to buy more reels .. right???????

Reel 224

RIGGGGHT! And then you would have to live in the (Dog House!!) ;D ;D ;D Ruth gave me a work area in the back mud room and that was the "final space". Ruth said. :( ;D ;D

Joe

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

foakes

Sharp, Lou --

Nice display and storage.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

steelfish

I was going to get a nice cabinet for my reels, with doors and windows, etc, but one of my worst fears is to have all my reels alltogether in the same place so a thief can take it and run away with the whole cabinet and leave me in tears for years  :'( :'(   ;D

The Baja Guy