need help to chance the handle knob

Started by steelfish, January 23, 2016, 09:38:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

hey guys, I have seen a lot of your reels with the AT handle knob and a lot of other custom knobs.

and wondering whats method you guys use to take out the stock handle knob.
I have read that you reffer that job as "drill out the stock knob" but I dont have the tools the have my handles steady enough to use my manual drill and I dont have any big machinist tool 

I'm really lost on which "easy to get" tool to use to install a new knob on the handle.

I have a dremel but I dont think the cut wheel would do the job without scratching the handle.

The Baja Guy

swill88

I clamp the handle to a piece of wood (with a plastic faced clamp), punch a center mark in the rivet and drill it with a hand drill 3/16" or smaller.
You just need to be sure you don't wander to the outside. Go slowww.

Steve

steelfish

how deep you have to go with the drill bit on the handle to lose the knob?
the knob will just fall down or you have to give some hits with a wood or rubber hammer

since it sounds pretty easy I dont want to take the hard route in this job

also, all handles are the same way
The Baja Guy

Shark Hunter

I have drilled out a few steelfish with just a hand drill.
I just lay it flat on the bench with the handle hanging over.
I'll drill a small hole in the center of the rivet, maybe an 1/8".
Then take a larger bit and it chews up that rivet pretty good.
Then just work it out without having to drill all the way through.
With only the very edges of the brass rivet holding it, it will come right off.
Life is Good!

STRIPER LOU

Do you have a vise or other means of clamping? If you do you can center punch the rivet on the backside of the handle, then drill a smaller pilot hole using your cordless or electric. The pilot hole will be your guide hole. Depending on which knob you choose, if its a 10-32 thread, a #9 drill (.196) or a bit larger will work fine and use it to re-drill your pilot hole out. You can always open the hole up after if you find it necessary. There's are bunch of different ways to do it depending on your tools and skills.

If you don't have a vise you can take 3 pcs of wood, a larger pc for the base and 2 smaller pcs. Nail the 2 smaller pcs to the board so the handle fits in them tightly upside down. This becomes your vise.
I believe you said you didn't have much for tools and this will get it done simply.
.......................Lou

steelfish

Got it Guys..

Thanks I will change some knobs on my abus 6500 and 5000 reels.
The Baja Guy