Busing for bearing?

Started by DoobieNaq, January 25, 2016, 03:24:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoobieNaq

This may be a silly question, but I couldn't find it with the search feature. Can I replace bushings for bearings? If so, how do I tell the size I need?

Here's the story: I recently received a Daiwa PMA10g reel that was in dire need of cleaning - I cleaned it as my first of many casting reels (now that I have confidence in my own ability).  I figured if I messed it up - big deal - it was free.  Well, once cleaned, I put it on a rod to try it out, but since there is no bearing in this thing it is not casting the way I would like.  It feels like the lure has to pull too much on the spool to get the spool turning, thus the lure flies well left of target (I'm right handed).  If this is not advised, what lubricant would do the best job to help with this problem?

alantani

you certainly can.  the dimensions would be the same.  when you notice that things are starting to rub, it will be time to replace the bushing. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

DoobieNaq

Are there any charts that you could point me to to figure out the size of my bushing? Or what type of tool would get an appropriate measure? I know I could borrow a caliper from my father in law if it's a must

DoobieNaq

MidTNKayakAngler

Get you a micrometer, and measure the inside in ID in millimeters, the outside in millimeters, and then the thickness in millimeters. Example 7x11x3

Bearings are accessible from many places like Boca, Hedgehog, VXB, Ebay, and more.

foakes

This brings up a point that I forgot about --

I use ultralight reels for backcountry backpacking and hiking trips.

Trout, mostly.

These little Daiwas generally have bushings -- but bearings can replace them cheaply and easily -- then you have a nearly bulletproof reel.  And very smooth.

Only difference between a Daiwa gold or silver spinner, is the color -- and two bearings -- one in the pinion, and one in the crank

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

Whenever I'm in a reel that has bushings they get changed to bearings.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Bryan Young

For my reels, all bushings are replaced with bearings. Often too costly for others. But I'm able to take a $60 reel and make it equivalent to a $120 reel be changing drags and bushings to bearings.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

cbar45

Quote from: foakes on February 15, 2016, 04:58:48 PM
This brings up a point that I forgot about --

I use ultralight reels for backcountry backpacking and hiking trips.

Trout, mostly.

These little Daiwas generally have bushings -- but bearings can replace them cheaply and easily -- then you have a nearly bulletproof reel.  And very smooth.

Only difference between a Daiwa gold or silver spinner, is the color -- and two bearings -- one in the pinion, and one in the crank

Best,

Fred

Hi Fred, I used to do just as you describe with these old Daiwas.

With the addition of two bearings to the main gear, a D-1000 can be made into the much pricier BG-10.

Chad