VERY THOROUGH REVIEW of the PENN CLASH 8000 Spinning Reel . . .

Started by ez2cdave, January 26, 2016, 05:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ez2cdave

Here is a VERY THOROUGH REVIEW of the PENN CLASH 8000 Spinning Reel . . .

http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/clsh8.html

Also, here it is in PDF format for easy download . . .

Tight Lines !!!

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

johndtuttle

There are significant problems, inaccuracies and inconsistencies with Alan's review that really, really need to be looked at with a critical eye...as well as some justified and unjustified criticisms of the reel that are very subjective.

I really don't want to get  into an internet pissing match over it but lets just say I ask the reader to be more skeptical than usual and compare this review to other reels he gives a relative pass to without focusing on their shortcomings as much as he does this reel.

best regards

cbar45

I have been following Mr. Hawk since the early 2000's and find the tone and focus of his reviews have become a bit more subjective, possibly influenced by his personal stance towards criticism/feedback he recieves...I still read his reviews, but do not take as much stock in them as I did early on; For me it takes a bit of sifting to arrive at the insights..

Chad

Tile

The problems that were found on the Clash aren't of a grave concern and can be dealt with simple mods. The line roller screw can do with a washer and correct the instability of the bail assembly and the line roller can be turned down a bit to eliminate the rubbing. The spool bearing problem can be corrected very easily with the addition of one small spacer between the bearing and the plastic shim and a second one between the bearing and spool inner ledge and removal of the wire retainer - this will ensure that the bearing will spin freely and not gouge the spool.
If one wants to go to the next level and is skilled in using the drill press and files a metal dog can be fashioned to replace the plastic one.

From what I can see, Penn is getting their act together on the spinner reel department.
In solid fiberglass we trust

MarkT

Yeah, the problems aren't severe and can be remedied but they still reflect poor design. I don't want to buy a reel that I have to fix before using when I could just buy a better reel for basically the same amount. For all I know, some of these issues are in my Battle 6000 but it doesn't make noise and catches fish and I like it. I've been thinking about a Spheros or Saragosa 10000 as my next spinner.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Tile on January 27, 2016, 07:05:32 AM
Or you can get a Fin-Nor Lethal 100 - that reel has am excellent gear train. Fin-Nor cornered the market with their Lethal 100.
I can't stand pot metal gears in spinners and the problems encountered on the Clash 8000 are of a build quality, not design. Anyway it show that Penn is making efforts to get their act together in the spinner department and that's because they face real stiff competition from Fin-Nor.

I really don't think that is accurate Tile. The market for 30oz spinners is very small and while the reel remains a good value if you want to talk about build quality see the snapped stems, snapped handles, bails falling out and a complete production run of reels with a main shaft too long that leads to the worst line lay of any reel I have ever seen.

Comparatively, Alan Hawk over tightening a screw of a squeaky line roller and damaging his bail arm and a proven design of an underspool bearing that doesn't work the way Alan Hawk would like it to is pretty small potatoes.

The Clash also comes in more useful sizes for more guys that don't need 600 yards of 50# braid on their reel.

coastal_dan

After reading Alans review of the LT100 I almost bought one, I was stoked...then the more research I started doing I noticed A LOT of snapped stems...it almost seemed that it was the biggest issue.  Their FB page even had numerous posts from individuals showing the snapped stems...kind of scary.

Kil Song did a little fishing with the Penn Clash and he had a gorgeous AJ jigging with it.  I don't recall his exact view on the reel, but he had a huge smile on his face...'nuff said, haha.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

MarkT

The LT100 is bigger than I want/need and I've seen the handle break off of one.  A 10k size Shimano or 8k size Penn would be perfect.  I'm still planning on catching a Wahoo on my Battle 6000 to go with the 30# YT and YFT I've already caught with it.

Tile

I saw the broken off bodies on the Lethals and why the break occurs because there isn't enough metal where it is needed the most - at the back portion of the transition between the main body and the foot. Fin-Nor must get rid of those divots and make that area stronger.

Such a shame that Fin-Nor failed so badly on the frame design for the Lethal 100 - absolute design flaw.
In solid fiberglass we trust

Porthos

Quote from: MarkT on January 27, 2016, 09:45:13 PMThe LT100 is bigger than I want/need and I've seen the handle break off of one...

As the owner of the one MarkT saw break off, I'm gonna chime in that "...there are no such things as absolutes..." when it comes to manufactured things. Having TWO LT100's, the NEWER one that caught LESS fish was the one that needed a replacement handle. The OLDER LT100 had been fished an additional year prior and still has its original factory parts going strong.

When buying something that someone else has rated highly, there's no guarantee that when buying a unit of the same that it doesn't end up being a dud--there are many points of failure where Murphy's Law can kick in.

Caveat Emptor.

newport

As always, another great review from Alan. I will be waiting to read his thoughts on the aluminum and brass gearing of the smaller reels. Sounds good so far on the cnc machining.

FatTuna

I haven't fished a Clash but I checked one out in person. It feels like a really nice reel. I can't comment on its performance but it's certainly one of the best looking reels that I've ever seen. I want one. The internals appear to be a dramatic improvement over Penn's previous (modern) spinning reels.

I always take Alan H's reviews with a grain of salt. A review is always going to be subjective. I can't say that I know more about fishing reels than he does but I also don't agree with everything he gives a thumbs up or down to. I use his reviews as a reference.

I rebuilt a Fin Nor lethal 100. It didn't impress me all that much. If you look on the internet there are a lot people reporting frame failures with those reels. The frame felt like cheap metal..... I wouldn't buy one. It's amazing how many people bought one though because of his review.  

sundaytrucka

As of late, I see narcissism in most of Alan H's Reviews, he seems quick to dispose of replies attempting to negate his findings, I think he feels powerful in the idea of being against...more directly feels he is some daunting shadow for every reel manufacturer. Maybe a god complex, after thwarting Canyon reels from bringing destruction to his followers.

Lol. Seriously though, can I get sued for this Dominick?

Before every review, are we going to have a full page of embellished melodrama of, "they released an OFFICIAL STATEMENT because of me, me directly!", getting threatened, and everything has to go to his lawyer before a single picture is seen?...He warns of the industry standard of self-evaluation by manufacturers, but forgets the industry standard that almost all critics find, nothing sells better than a bad review.

Alan H. does an amazing, meticulous job evaluating reels and has brought the industry forward, but things may have gone to his head.

-Scott

I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.