Late 30's Long Beach

Started by sdlehr, January 27, 2016, 03:17:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Picked up this Long Beach while trolling around on my day off. I'd like help dating it better. The handle confuses me; I'm easily confused with this stuff. Here's the head plate logo, no model number, Pat'd.

My  first reel with a waffle clicker

And I suspect this is an aftermarket addition - a knurled post; useful because it's the top post on the thumb side

It's got the domed left side end cap on the bushing

Stamped 250 yds on the foot

Coin edge counterbalance on the handle

And this throws me; the larger football-shaped torpedo knob

A pretty common left side plate picture

So how do we narrow this down to year of production? Thanks in advance for your help.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Tightlines667

I would  say this model is ca. 1938 (or possibly 1939) LB Model 60.  The scalloped handle nut w/locking screw, the line capacity markings on the stands, and this style model stamping all appeared in 1937, while the torpedo handle (w/coin-edged counterweight) appeared in 1938.  I believe the knurled rear crossbar first appeared on a Silverbeach in 1938.  I believe, pictured tailplates also appeared on the LB models in 1938.  The waffle clicker disappeared ca 1939. 

Not sure if the knurled rear crossbar is correct for this reel?  Also the Sea Gate stand was identified and interchangeable with this model.  Not sure if you took a look inside to see if any of the internals are German silver, as we're found on the Silver Beach?   This isn'the likely though.

Not sure I got this stuff right, maybe Mike can confirm?

But my best guess is from the 1938/39ish period.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Superhook

John,

You're on the Mark - early 1939 , The first year of the Torpedo handle knobs. All Standard except the knurled post is unusual on a Long Beach , correct , although most are plain posts.

Ray

foakes

What is really neat, to me -- is seeing how far John has come in his knowledge of Penn, OC, and others -- in such a short time. 

Ray and Mike should be proud of what they have fostered.

Ahhh, You learn well, Grasshopper.

Soon the student will be the teacher.

Good Work!

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tightlines667

Quote from: foakes on January 27, 2016, 05:10:01 AM
What is really neat, to me -- is seeing how far John has come in his knowledge of Penn, OC, and others -- in such a short time. 

Ray and Mike should be proud of what they have fostered.

Ahhh, You learn well, Grasshopper.

Soon the student will be the teacher.

Good Work!

Fred

:)
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

sdlehr

Quote from: Tightlines666 on January 27, 2016, 04:24:42 AM
Not sure if you took a look inside to see if any of the internals are German silver, as were found on the Silver Beach?

Thanks, John, I knew I could count on you for this info  ;D I haven't opened it up yet, may get to take a look tonight after work and a dinner meeting tonight. I'm starting to get a handle on dating these Longbeaches (and Seagates).... complicated by Penn's frugal nature and using up all previous-stocked parts before substituting for the new ones, but that goes for all the models. I had thought this to be '38 or '39 because that's when the pictured tail plates began on the Senators, and with the waffle clicker it had to be the first year or two. I'm going to figure out a way to make a chart of the changes when I read through Mike's book again - these dates go in one ear and out the other.

Sid
Sid Lehr

Maxed Out

Good luck on your chart Sid. There are about 15-20 different configurations for long beach from 1933-1942.

If you ever see a long beach 60 with a clamp seat, my advice is buy it. They were only offered for a few years in the 40's and not many were sold cause it was $2 option for a $6.50 reel. I've seen 3, but am certain more are out there.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

sdlehr

Thanks for the advice, Ted. I got to open her up and clean her up a bit... no German Silver anywhere

Pretty well gummed up with old grease that flowed downhill over the years and also deposited on the spool

In the end she cleaned up really nicely

I left a lot of the patina intact

The side plate is in really good condition - look at the details in the hair and hat....

Sid Lehr

bluefish69

I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.