Penn 115 9.0 spool

Started by mikeysm, January 31, 2016, 04:59:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeysm

What would everyone prefer to have on the 115 9.0. The cast brass spool or the aluminum spool. Which one is stronger.

Mike

handi2

I would say the chromed brass spool is much stronger. They do last much longer than the aluminum spools.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Maxed Out

The advantage of an aluminum spool is substantial reduction of weight.

.....so if weight is not a factor the cast bronze spool would be my choice, same as Keith  ;) ;)
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

mikeysm

That's what I think also it's just the brass spools chrome plating wears away.

Army_of_One

Quote from: handi2 on January 31, 2016, 05:32:07 PM
I would say the chromed brass spool is much stronger. They do last much longer than the aluminum spools.
Isn't there a difference in capacity on those?  I thought I'd read where the specs changed from the chromed spool years to the aluminum ones.  That might have been a different reel though.  :-\
Another day in Paradise!

cbar45

I prefer the light weight of aluminum spools and the fact that the spool lip is flanged--helpful in casting/lobbing applications.

Army of One is correct in that the chromed brass spools hold a bit more line due to a smaller arbor.

Very old 9/0's came with three-piece spools which are not as strong as the aluminum or one-piece cast variety.

Btw, ball-bearing 9/0's use different spool shafts than the older bushing models; the spools are not interchangeable.

Chad

mikeysm

I just purchased a NOS 9.0 115 with bearings . I have all the upgrades and Toms frame. The spool is brass and I was deciding if I wanted to use it or get a aluminum spool.

Mike

Shark Hunter

I like them both equally.
The aluminum makes a really good clicker amplifier.
As long as the reel is in good shape, I won't judge the spool. ;)
Life is Good!