Coxe Reels

Started by The Great Maudu, January 28, 2016, 02:00:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Great Maudu

Thanks Mike for another great history lesson. Zane Grey is my fishing hero and his hometown is not too far from where I live. I think they have a ZG museum with some of his stuff. Looking at those great old reels makes me want to spool one up with some 39 thread and take it into battle. Another aspect of big game fishing during this same time period that fascinates me is the rods they used. Laminated hickory and such. I've never seen one but have seen old books describing construction methods.

Penn Chronology

Quote. Another aspect of big game fishing during this same time period that fascinates me is the rods they used. Laminated hickory and such. I've never seen one but have seen old books describing construction methods.

My favorites are the Tycoon rods from the 1930's and 40's. They were the absolute best; but, they are not the only great rods. The vom Hofe shops made fine stuff and of course Hardy of England made great old rods too. Ocean City partnered up with Montague in the 1930's and some really nice rods came out of the Montague shops at very fair prices. There are others also. Wood rods are a subject in themselves.