Coxe Reels

Started by The Great Maudu, January 28, 2016, 02:00:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Great Maudu

I'm re-reading Zane Greys "Tales of Swordfish and Tuna". He praises the Coxe reels and writes about having a 16/0 built for him for $1500. Anyone have any pics of those type reels?

handi2

Some of the Coxe reels bring big money in the collectible arena. I may have a small one but nothing like what you want to see.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

coastal_dan

Getting a Zane Grey 1st edition is one of my major wants  ;) 

Coxe reels have an interesting story, which I believe I heard from Mike...Originally they were hand built reels that were expensive and very high quality...then after the war Bronson and Coxe paired but Coxe wasn't tickled with the outcome.  You'll see a lot of those reels as J.A.Coxe reels, or the signature which looks like Jaloxe, haha.

My knowledge is limited on it, but check out on eBay all of the Coxe reel advertisements.  Lots of interesting little ads.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Penn Chronology

Joe Coxe contributions to fishing tackle are part of why we have what we have today. Mr. Coxe, William Boschen and the vom Hofe family are the heart and soul of modern saltwater fishing tackle. There is a great book titled, Men, Fish and Tackle. The Story of J.A. Coxe as told by Ralph Bandini. This book was sponsored by Bronson and first published in 1936 when Joe Coxe first came over to Bronson before the war. First editions of this book are sought after and sell in the hundreds when they pop up; but, a company named Coachwork Publications republished this book in 2006, so for informational purposes. Just type in the authors name, Ralph Bandini, in the Amazon search window and you will see the reprint of this book for about $11.00. It is well worth the money and a must read for any saltwater reel collector.

The marriage between Bronson and Coxe was the end of the Coxe legacy. When Joe Coxe talked about the old days, he was talking about the 1890's. True Joe Coxe reels were works of art, Bronson mutilated his legacy and used his name to sell saltwater low end reels; but, that was after the war. In the beginning of the merger, Bronson was selling true Joe Coxe reels. Here is a early Coxe / Bronson 14/0 double handle cradle reel with a Tycoon tip that passed through my hands a few years ago. It is owned by one of our members here at Tani.

This rig is the mating of two of the greatest tackle makers the world has ever seen, Joe Coxe and Frank O'Brien, founder of Tycoon Tackle!

Here is a view from the tail plate side of the rig. Installation of the second handle is optional on this side of the reel.

In this view we can see the right side plate of the 14/0 reel with the original Joe Coxe handle. This rig dates to the late 1930's.

View from the bottom. Everything is detachable using locking ferrules to attach the rod butt and rod tip. The cradle could support a Mac Truck.

Joe Coxe did make this reel up to the 20/0 size. Needless to say, the 20/0 variety is very rare, so this is the best I can do:

This is the original Joe Coxe 20/0 reel, it is reworked into the configuration I pictured above in the smaller 14/0 size with the solid cradle and sold by Bronson in the early years of the Coxe / Bronson merger. Bronson did offer this 20.0 version for a short time in their catalog.

I have to throw in this old, faded press photo of an American Hero:

And guess what that reel is that Mr. Zane Grey is holding up. Yup, it is the old Joe Coxe----20/0 cradle reel. It does not get any better than this in the world of saltwater fishing tackle.

I found one more. This is a good one to finish the post. Old Joe Coxe with a 20/0, fitted with Tycoon tip, a different version drag wheel and an early non-torpedo handle.
    I love this stuff!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Penn Chronology

coastal_dan

Holy awesome Batman.  Great Post Mike, thanks for the history and photos.  That 20/0 is a beast... :o
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Penn Chronology

QuoteHoly awesome Batman

:D ;)

Penn Chronology

Hey, who stole my pictures!!! >:(

Shark Hunter

photobucket is down for maintenance.
Life is Good!

Penn Chronology

Quotephotobucket is down for maintenance.

Thank you Daron, I thought a band of pirates came through the site and lifted them. ??? ??? ???

I wonder if everything be back in place when Photobucket is back up again? I have never seen this happen.

Alto Mare

I've seen it happen a few times lately, maybe they want to get paid :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Penn Chronology

QuoteInsert Quote

I've seen it happen a few times lately, maybe they want to get paid Undecided

That would be OK with me. Maybe that would get all the junk they have popping up all the time and enable them to give better service.

Tightlines667

That is a good real!

I think I have already seen this one in an older ORCA posting. 

:o
Definitely an eye popper.

:o :o :o
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Penn Chronology

QuoteI think I have already seen this one in an older ORCA posting. 

John,

If you saw it in an ORCA posting, it is a good chance that it is this one. This was passed to me from an ORCA member and then I passed it to another ORCA member. Sort of kept in the family of custodians.