garcia mitchell main gear lube question

Started by hrgriz, September 28, 2015, 11:08:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hrgriz

Sure it has been covered on here but I can't find the answer by using search. On Garcia Mitchell reels like the 300, 304,308, etc. should I use grease or oil on the main gear shaft where it passes through the side cover. I have about a dozen various models I use for fishing, and want to make sure they stay in good shape for my grandbabies! Thanks for the help :)

foakes

Welcome hrgriz --

For the area you mention, a synthetic oil (CorrosianX, 321, or a basic synthetic oil like WRL) is what is recommended. 

Grease of course for any gear mating areas inside the case.

We can elaborate for different applications -- but this will take care of any fresh water usages.

These are not recommended for salt water -- if you intend to keep them operable for the long term.

Very good reels.

Post some pics pf your arsenal.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

hrgriz

Thanks for the info ,in the past I have used that garcia silicote oil on that area but I have ran out. I will pick up some synthetic tomorrow ! Also I will figure out the picture posting some of my reels are great shape others are behind the truck seat stuff,but I use them all ! Hopefully the grandkids will too.  :)

Kozmo77

I read this thread with interest- last year a very good friend sent a box full of spinners that were casualties of war(salt water). A few throwaways were included but lurking inside were some Mitchells- 2 300s 1 351, 1 306 plus some others. Made one real sweet 300 from the two, and the 351 was actually serverasble. A relatively easy reel design to work on- and the Bay has many goodies to complete whatever is black! Cut to the chase-Have seen the naked spool shaft, stripped spool clicker disc, and the metal nosepiece that completes the arrangement. BUT getting to the rotator-bail system nessicitates removal of shaft- sideplate must come off. I know some have the ability to pull the click plate off w/o ruining the shaft unit. How??  ??? ???  You guys have helped in the past- best forum of its kind!  BTW is the Mitchell Museum site down?

Kozmo77

Never mind guys- had an Indiana Jones moment and pressed the little doo-hickey on the end! :D