Stainless gear sleeve

Started by Biggertroy, January 30, 2016, 09:05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggertroy

Hello from Oak Island NC . I recently purchased a stainless steel gear sleeve for an old Penn 113 black sides. After installing it I found the handle to be very sloppy. I tried it on 2 reels with the same results and ended up putting the originals back on. Has anyone else experienced this ? Thanks. Troy

RowdyW

Are you sure that the holes in the handles are not worn? Do you have the correct handles? Handles are usually a very tight fit on ss sleeves.     

Biggertroy

I'm sorry I should have been more specific . I'm pretty sure the id of the new part is too big and the whole thing is flopping on the stem of the bridge. The handle itself is not loose on the gear sleeve , the whole shebang is sloppy. Putting the original gear sleeve back in fixed the problem . I will probably just send it back .

Cortez_Conversions

On some of the old reels, the bridge stem is smaller in diameter. You would have to replace the bridge.
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Alto Mare

Quote from: Biggertroy on January 30, 2016, 09:30:59 PM
I'm sorry I should have been more specific . I'm pretty sure the id of the new part is too big and the whole thing is flopping on the stem of the bridge. The handle itself is not loose on the gear sleeve , the whole shebang is sloppy. Putting the original gear sleeve back in fixed the problem . I will probably just send it back .
I'm not sure how much slop you're talking about, but the original sleeve should have some as well.
I have many 4/0's, none are tight. There is approx. 1/16th play and that how you would want it.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Biggertroy

It's very sloppy compared to the factory one . I didn't realize that some of the older ones had a smaller stem on the bridge.

alantani

some of the really, really old bridge plates had a post that had a smaller diameter.  i will see if i have one that will work for you!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Biggertroy

I tried it on a bridge plate from a long beach 60 that I have disassembled and it fits perfectly. Will that bridge plate fit the old 113 ?

alantani

it will have a "3-113" stamped onto it.  i'll check to see if i have one. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Biggertroy on January 31, 2016, 03:03:15 AM
I tried it on a bridge plate from a long beach 60 that I have disassembled and it fits perfectly. Will that bridge plate fit the old 113 ?
I believe it does, but don't remember for sure. I know that the sleeve and screw holes line up, so it should work.
Why don't you give it a shot and see for yourself.
I posted something here about this, but can't find it.
Let us know how you make out.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

RowdyW

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 31, 2016, 03:42:28 AM
Quote from: Biggertroy on January 31, 2016, 03:03:15 AM
I believe it does, but don't remember for sure. I know that the sleeve and screw holes line up, so it should work.
Why don't you give it a shot and see for yourself.
I posted something here about this, but can't find it.
Let us know how you make out.

Sal
The 60 plate is different because of the different gears & gear ratio. The post is farther from the center because of the larger main gear on the 113.      Rudy

Alto Mare

I don't know Rudy, everything looks close when I measure the two. The hole for the pinion on the 3-60 is a little tighter than the 3-113, I wonder if I open it up 1/16th it will work. :-\
I  might do that if I get a chance... now I need to find out.

No, you are correct Rudy, the gears don't line up and I'm not going to waste my time trying to make it work.

We talked about this same subject a while ago, I cannot find it. :-\

RowdyW

Sal, it was when we talked about my changing the gear ratio in the 113 with the 66 gears a little over a year ago. It was in relation to the Grouper Special going from 2.0 to 2.4.     Rudy

Biggertroy

I don't know if it's any indication of this reels age but it has the flat dog spring . It's in extremely good shape for its age . I have spent more on it than it's worth but that's ok. I can't wait to use it.

mizmo67

Hi Troy,

Sending some return info via our email system about the sleeve. :)
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com